Post-NaNo slump?

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I scraped past 50k back on the 27th (ah, those halcyon days, all of a week ago).

At the time I was on Chapter 22 out of 30. In the week since then, I've written about 7k more, and am now trudging through Chapter 25. So I'm averaging about a thousand a day, but I'm definitely finding it harder going with every day that passes!

Just wondering if there was anyone else out there who is still working on their NaNo WIP and who might sympathise with my slight patheticity... patheticerisation... patheticness... OK, whining. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Not this year (I didn't have time for actual NaNo) but the first year I did NaNo, I still had about 20k to write in December to finish the novel.

I think what you're doing is what worked for me - just keeping going. I know from other years, that if I allow myself to take a few days off, it's so much harder to get back into it.

You're almost there! And maybe once you pass the finish line on the novel, you could take a week or so off leading up to Christmas?

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
At least you're still going. Even if it's at a slower pace, you will eventually finish the book if you keep writing. :)

I haven't even touched my NaNo book since last week, when I ended November with 60k. I know there's a lot left to write, but bleh. It doesn't help that I also pulled out a project that I'd set aside for NaNo. I'm less sick and tired of that one, so it's getting all my attention (though I told myself I would divide my time evenly--I'm such a liar).

AriAmaru

Registered
Reaction score
I reached the word count about 20 days in, got to about 60K by the 30th.. and STILL wasn't done with my story! So I totally hear ya. I ended up writing about 7K more before I finished two days ago, but I'll admit, it was mostly just to say "I'm done."

Writing 50K in a month, as I'm sure we all know, is exhausting, so I applaud your effort to continue writing your novel into December. You will finish it!! :)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I miss the energy of NaNo. I did 121k in just over three weeks. Not sure I could do that so easily on my own.

But I agree with what some of the others said, that you just have to keep going, keep writing every day. That's what I'm doing for the Nano book I didn't finish.

It's helpful for me to keep setting high personal goals and attacking them the way I did during Nano. I signed up for Milwordy, but you could just as easily set any goal you want, even just a firm deadline to finish your Nano novel by. I've found it's helpful for the goal to be a little challenging, though. A harder goal is both more satisfying to achieve, and harder to procrastinate over because you know that if you fall behind it will be very difficult to make up. But maybe it's just me who needs that for motivation, lol.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting as much of my short fiction work into submission as possible... it's important writing-related work that isn't actually writing.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful and kind comments!

I will keep plugging away... particularly since I've banned myself from reading my first draft until I've finished it, to prevent me from getting caught up in editing. And I *really* want to read it the whole way through.

My husband's reading it though (which is creating a deadline in a way, for me to finish before he does), and has politely pointed out that on one page I managed to introduce a pair of characters to each other twice. Oops... :D

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm there too - won NaNo but not quite finished with the novel yet, and I've only written 2000 words since that. I also finished early. Know what to write, but have let myself rest a bit, have had sick kids (miracles do happen - they only got sick after I finished - didn't expect that!) and whatnot.
Am determined to complete by new year, though.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep going, Corussa! :e2cheer:

I'm currently doing the slowest read-through anyone's ever done. (About a page a day.) Not even editing, just reading through my first draft and noting down what needs changing. It's like crawling across a field of broken glass...err, not that I'd know what that feels like. But I imagine it'd take me just as long. :D So no, you're definitely not alone.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Not just you, Corussa, me too. I really slowed after Dec.1, but I'm not beating myself up about it because I'm really happy I now have a 65k first draft to build on - I'm hoping to finish the first draft today.

Like you, I'm not reading any of what I wrote yet (although I have spent a bit of time revising the chapter structure with the benefit of hindsight). I'm going to do a little more research but then I'm going to make myself have a break from it, revise some short fiction and poems, and then look at it again in a few weeks.

I'd suggest that it doesn't matter how rough the first draft feels when you get to it, the really telling work will be what we do next. Keep going, eh! :)

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Still plugging away. Doing lunchtime sessions at work too. That's helping because it's on my new netbook, so I've got the novelty factor of playing with that, which helps keep me going.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Since nano ended I have only managed 14k. I totally feel your pain. I set a goal for myself, I want to finish before I travel later this month. Nano was easier because of the company. I just have to remember if I push through.

I made the rookie mistake of taking Dec 1st off. I lost momentum, now I just need to keep going. Only another 30k.