• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Pippin Properties Inc.

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently saw that Pippin Properties Inc is accepting manuscripts. However, when I did a search on the company - http://www.pippinproperties.com/flash.htm

It states they are: an agency devoted to the management and representation of the finest children's book authors and artists at work today.

Has anyone heard of them? If so, have you got any advice?

Reece :Shrug:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Their clients are children's publishing's A-list, so if you think you have something that'll put you there, too, then have at it.

Me? Maybe after another book or three are in print. ;)

fjclaus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smilecheap.com
I sent my query letter to John Seller at Pippin last month and have not heard much from them since. One of their more famous authors is Kate DiCamillo. She wrote "Because of Winn Dixie".

Children's Writer

Pippin Properties

fjclaus said:
I sent my query letter to John Seller at Pippin last month and have not heard much from them since. One of their more famous authors is Kate DiCamillo. She wrote "Because of Winn Dixie".

My story is currently under review there, but be aware that they are running a bit behind schedule due to the number of submissions. It took a month and a half to get an affirmative response to my query. Just a hint... avoid phoning, if possible. The secretary wasn't too pleased to hear from me... I get the feeling they are being deluged with submissions, so give them a little extra time. Good luck!

davidhburton

Purveyor of sacrilege
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidhburton.com
I got a very nice personal rejection from them on a query. They commented on my concept and the writing of sample chapters, but in the end fantasy wasn't for them. I was really happy to receive a personal note!! Very professional from what I could see.

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the lead. I sent a query this morning. Holding thumbs that they bite!

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
underthecity said:
I submitted mine to them April 21. Still holding my thumbs and my breath. My face has already turned blue, so don't ask.

allen

Breath...it will be all good!

I just sent them something myself.

Reece10

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got my rejection notice from Pippin. It went a little something like this:

Reece :cry:

Unfortunately, after careful consideration, we don’t feel that Pippin is the right agency to represent your work. Pippin is a small children’s book literary agency, and as such, we have to be very selective about what we choose to represent. I’m afraid we don’t feel the unstoppable enthusiasm for the projects that we would need in order to be successful in promoting your work.

That said, the fact that this work isn’t right for us doesn’t mean it might not find a home elsewhere, as editorial opinions widely vary. We wish you the very best in finding the perfect representative to champion your work, and thank you for considering us.

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
{{{Reece}}} keep submitting, they're absolutely right, just because it's not what they're looking for doesn't mean it isnt' the perfect book for another agency!

flotsamarama

Registered
Reaction score
My rejection from them read, in part:

"While we all enjoyed many aspects of these first chapters, I'm afraid we didn't feel quite strongly enough to take it on. With such a small agency we can only represent people whom we more than just admire (and we certainly admire your work) -- in fact, it has to be something more akin to love at first sight."

One of the nicest rejections I've received.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
davidhburton said:
I got a very nice personal rejection from them on a query. They commented on my concept and the writing of sample chapters, but in the end fantasy wasn't for them. I was really happy to receive a personal note!! Very professional from what I could see.

Send it out somewhere else, David. You've got a winner, and it will sell eventually.

Storms

I've been on a on-again off-again search for an agent for children's illustration, so my literary agent recommended Pippin. I love their web site, and they sure do have top-notch talent. Sadly, I got turned down. And it did take a little longer than usual for the reply, but like others have said, I suspect they are deluged with submissions, from both writers and artists. Here's what John Sellers said:

"Unfortunately, after careful consideration, we don't think that we're
the right agency to represent your work. Pippin is a small agency, and
as such it's rare for us to take on new clients. Sometimes, this
translates into turning down writers and artists who are very talented
because we do not feel we could give them the time and attention they
deserve.

I'm sorry for the disappointing news, but we wish you the very best in
finding the right representative to champion your work, and thank you
for thinking of us."

Very nice. But still a nope. Oh well.....

--patricia

Alexenafi

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted earlier this week (via email). Based on their website and on others feedback they are one of my top picks (not that I'm in a position at this point to pick and choose). I guess we just sit (work on our next book) and wait.
Good luck to us all.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
[Agency] Pippin Properties, Inc.

Has anyone has any dealings with this group? They aren't a member of AAR, so I just wanted to see what people knew. Thanks! :)

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
They only rep children's lit -- I know they have a couple of strong authors, but I'd have to check their website before I could give a name.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
They rep Kate DiCamillo, for one!

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
Their website says:

"If you don't hear from us within three weeks, please understand that we have read and considered your query, and have concluded that we are not the right agency to represent your work at this time. If we do request additional material, we would appreciate the exclusive opportunity to review it for one month. "

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I know if it were me I'd rather know. :(

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm vaguely puzzled. Is this one of the agencies who have a no from one means a no from all policy?

The submission info doesn't really address this, but then they say, "please understand that we have read and considered your query."

Or am I just fiddling around with semantics here?

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
My wife and I received a pleasant request for the first three chapters of our latest YA novel -- and a request that the ms. be exclusive to Pippin for one month. With the manuscript already out to other agents, we couldn't grant the exclusive. I assume this was a deal-killer since we haven't heard from the agent since we shared that info.