• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] William Morris Endeavor (UK)

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
http://wmeauthors.co.uk/

As WME UK have their own website now, they have their own thread. Those seeking the US thread can find it here.

The books department is newly headed up by the almighty Mr Simon Trewin, formerly of United Agents. His clients include John Boyne (The Boy in Striped Pyjamas), Scarlett Thomas (The End of Mr Y), and Manchester United Football club. At the time of writing the website states Claudia Webb and Becky Thomas are growing their lists. I also know from Twitter that Cathryn Summerhayes had a baby earlier this year, so if anybody knows whether she is on maternity leave, that would be helpful.

The main thing to note is that they have terms and conditions which must be agreed to in your covering letter. The link is right at the bottom of the website and will download the document directly onto your computer. Or, hopefully this link will work for everybody.

If somebody could add the submissions address to this thread, it would be most helpful to those of us who don't have default mail clients on our browsers.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks for the post! (Your link to the Ts and Cs works fine.)

Each agent seems to be taking submissions through their individual emails. Synopsis + first three chapters (50 pages or so). And don't forget to mention you've read their terms and conditions in your cover letter.

I'm interested in these two, but will go with Jo, who's building her list and interested in debut literary fiction:

Elizabeth Sheinkman
Elizabeth worked within the editorial departments of Oxford University Press and Alfred A. Knopf before joining the Elaine Markson Agency in New York in 1996. In 2004 she moved to London to set up their UK office as Partner and Director of the company. She joined Curtis Brown six years ago as a senior agent and director, where she has represented a broad range of award-winning and best-selling authors on both sides of the Atlantic, including Steve Toltz (A Fraction of the Whole), Marcel Theroux (Far North), Kim Edwards (The Memory Keeper's Daughter), Elif Shafak (Honour), Melanie Gideon (Wife 22), Tim Butcher (Blood River), Rupert Isaacson (The Horse Boy), New Yorker cartoonist Marisa Acocella Marchetto, and UK journalists Adam LeBor, Mick Brown, Sean O’Hagan and Hephzibah Anderson.

Jo Rodgers worked in the editorial department of Random House in New York before moving to London literary agency Curtis Brown in 2010. She joined WME alongside Elizabeth Sheinkman in 2012, where she is building a list. Jo is interested in debut literary fiction and narrative nonfiction, especially concerning food and travel.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Each agent seems to be taking submissions through their individual emails.

Under "submissions" down the bottom instructions are to send subs to a general submissions address [email protected] (it's a link buried under the instruction send "here", so it's difficult to spot :)). I imagine you're supposed to address it to your agent of choice in the salutation though.

ETA: When I clicked on that link, the email it generated included the text below (so those of you sending from a different email client may want to paste it at the top of your email before launching into "Dear [Agent Name]").

PLEASE FILL IN THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE ATTACHING A SUBMISSION TO THIS EMAIL.

NAME:
ADDRESS:
PHONE:
TITLE OF MATERIAL:

BY SENDING THIS SUBMISSION, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE READING AND AGREEING TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CONTAINED ON WME'S WEBSITE.
Haven't subbed yet (and won't be ready for some time!); was just trying it out. Good luck all!

Last edited:

Dany C.

Dany C.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
Glad I could find something on this agency.
The thing is that I did read that whole submission general terms thing and it somehow sound wrong to me.
The things that worry me the most:
WME and WME’s clients may use said material (i.e. the material you sent by email), without obligation to you and without your permission. - What does this mean exactly?...
Others:
You recognise that WME and WME’s clients have access to, may have or have had possession of, and/or may create or have created materials and ideas which may be similar or identical to said material in theme, idea, plot, format or other respects. You agree that you will not be entitled to any compensation because of the use of any such similar or identical material and that your permission is not needed for the use of such similar or identical material.
And then it goes:
Your failure to give WME such written notice before the expiration of such period will constitute an irrevocable waiver of any rights you may otherwise have with respect to such claim.
I admit I'm new to the publishing business and the WME guys are probably just trying to avoid some far-fetched complaints from disappointed authors. Still, this got me a little worried.
Could anyone offer some advice or a testimony about their experience with them?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com

Roses

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Danny,

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I too read all the terms and conditions and was alarmed by the part you highlighted. I may have read it wrong, but it implied that they have the right to use your work without telling you if they want to.

Needless to say I decided NOT to submit my manuscript to them a few days ago.

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
I pitched Haley Heidemann at a conference, and she invited me to query. It's been awhile and I haven't heard anything. Anybody know anything about whether she responds? She's not listed on QueryTracker, so I can't find any info. Thanks in advance!