• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is the word 'luv' a legitimate word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

direndria2

Registered
Reaction score
This is a fascinating discussion, I definitely had no idea that "luv" was a permissible word. I don't think I would ever use it (to me it seems text-y) but I don't discredit anyone else for using it, especially with it being in the dictionary and all. Now if we could just stop the imos and imhos...

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
(My bold) Ahh, right, see, now it becomes clear. That wasn't coming through earlier

I'd never use it for an American character (just as I wouldn't use y'all for a cockney) or for a Brit lawyer or a Geordie because all words have to fit the character. And sometimes, this one does.
Londoners, sure. Not a problem. I can hear that voice in my head when I read it.

It goes both ways. Garth Ennis, an Irish writer who normally has a good ear, once had a plainspoken blue-collar Texan character say "Oh well, it needn't be so bad," which is slightly less likely than a rain of frogs.

Chris Graham

Banned
Reaction score
Well thank you Happy Sophie, I'm so pleased that you don't mind us English having different spellings of the 'English' language.
I suppose it's not an affectation to spell happy with one 'P' and an 'I'....... you may well spell your name with an 'F' so I'll let you off that one...... seriously though, my little bit of piss taking aside, you're right.
The alternative spelling should only be used when the writer is confident that it's appropriate, and in America, it rarely, if ever, is.
Fortunately, the distinction between 'luv' in the right place, and 'love' in the same place, is so fine that it won't matter. Unlike 'luv' in the wrong place, which grates on the sensibilities.
I'd go so far as to suggest that in the US edit of a work, it is left out and 'love' is used. If only to stop its inappropriate use by those that see it, don't understand it, but use it because they think it's 'cool'.

It's such a small word, but it can cause so much controversy. (and the pronunciation of that one is a whole new can of worms........ start on that, and the whole world could go tits up.)

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
This is a fascinating discussion, I definitely had no idea that "luv" was a permissible word. I don't think I would ever use it (to me it seems text-y) but I don't discredit anyone else for using it, especially with it being in the dictionary and all. Now if we could just stop the imos and imhos...
It's less about dictionaries, and what's objectively right and wrong, and more about how readers react. There are plenty of grammatical, dictionary-listed words and phrases that will disturb your audience's perception of you in unexpected ways.

One example: no matter how good your intentions are, addressing members of a certain race or religion as "you people" is bound to raise a lot of hackles. Here's another: niggard is a perfectly legitimate English word that's been around for centuries, but people are still going to trip over it, and the ones that don't know it means "miser; one who is habitually stingy" will think it's offensive.

A good example of bad tone is this line that was submitted to the annual Bulwer-Lytton "first sentence of an imaginary bad novel" competition:
"I was a very, very, very sensitive child."
Sets my teeth on edge. If that were a real book, I'd know instantly that I didn't want to read it.

When a word is going to ring false or sound affected to a lot of your readers, you have to stop and ask yourself whether using it is worth the loss of their attention and sympathy. Maybe you'll change it. Maybe you'll wind up using it anyway. What's important to know that it has that effect.

Deleted member 42

Well thank you Happy Sophie, I'm so pleased that you don't mind us English having different spellings of the 'English' language.
I suppose it's not an affectation to spell happy with one 'P' and an 'I'....... you may well spell your name with an 'F' so I'll let you off that one...... seriously though, my little bit of piss taking aside, you're right.

:popcorn:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Also, if someone said to me 'I'll do it presently' i'd think that they were deliberately trying to sound old fashioned, it would sound unnatural where i come from. (East Anglia) and also i'd assume they meant they would do it right now, and i'd be thinking '...Well go on then.' i've never hear that used to say 'i'll do it later'
That's a great example.

"Presently" is one of those older forms like "had gotten" or saying "fall" for "autumn" that survived in North America, but fell out of use in the U.K. However, during the intervening centuries its meaning shifted. When Americans use it, they mean "real soon now." Its original sense was "immediately," which is the one you're familiar with.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
The alternative spelling should only be used when the writer is confident that it's appropriate, and in America, it rarely, if ever, is.
Fortunately, the distinction between 'luv' in the right place, and 'love' in the same place, is so fine that it won't matter. Unlike 'luv' in the wrong place, which grates on the sensibilities.
I'd go so far as to suggest that in the US edit of a work, it is left out and 'love' is used. If only to stop its inappropriate use by those that see it, don't understand it, but use it because they think it's 'cool'.

It's such a small word, but it can cause so much controversy. (and the pronunciation of that one is a whole new can of worms........ start on that, and the whole world could go tits up.)
This raises a number of issues. Do you really want to discuss them, or are you just feeling irritated?

If it's the latter, how about I acknowledge that you felt irritated, you agree, and we both save ourselves a lot of typing?

Honest Bill

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great example.

"Presently" is one of those older forms like "had gotten" or saying "fall" for "autumn" that survived in North America, but fell out of use in the U.K. However, during the intervening centuries its meaning shifted. When Americans use it, they mean "real soon now." Its original sense was "immediately," which is the one you're familiar with.

Interesting. I never knew Americans used it in that context, and like most Brits, i'm quite familiar with American usage. So it just goes to show that we don't always pick up on everything.

Also as someone mentioned the term 'maths' earlier, that sounds normal to me, but if i heard that said in an American accent, it would sound all wrong to me. I would expect all Americans to say 'math' instead.

And 'had gotten' is still in common use in England. I still use it and it just sounds perfectly normal and natural to me. In fact i wasn't even aware it was supposed to have changed... Perhaps i just missed that meeting, i don't know.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
That's a great example.

I might hear it from someone trying to be (or naturally is) very formal. One of my old headmistresses used to say it, (meaning immediately or as near as -- as soon as I've finished what I'm already doing sort of thing) but she was a stickler for formal. Shame really, or we'd have got along famously. :D

And 'had gotten' is still in common use in England. I still use it and it just sounds perfectly normal and natural to me. In fact i wasn't even aware it was supposed to have changed... Perhaps i just missed that meeting, i don't know.
I use (had) gotten too.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score

Interestingly, I've always thought of that as an Americanism. Might be a London thing, or might be my ignorance showing.

Chris Graham

Banned
Reaction score
This raises a number of issues. Do you really want to discuss them, or are you just feeling irritated?

If it's the latter, how about I acknowledge that you felt irritated, you agree, and we both save ourselves a lot of typing?

Don't worry, I wasn't irritated, I was actually agreeing with you, but having a little joke. (sorry, 'taking the piss' might have a different connotation in the States, I don't know, but here it's just light hearted ribbing between mates with no malice intended).
I certainly agree with you about words that although correctly used give the wrong impression, or just aren't understood. That, though, is why books get edited differently for here or there, and why, when we get a US remake of a much loved UK television programme, it's never as good....... to our ears and eyes. We really are 'two nations, divided by a common language'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Interestingly, I've always thought of that as an Americanism. Might be a London thing, or might be my ignorance showing.

I can't look it up right now, but that is a dialect marker; I remember it as Northern, on either side of the Humber.

Get is a loan from Old Norse; it was a marker of the North even in Chaucer's era.

But much of America was settled by those from the North of England, and we kept usages y'all dropped.

Honest Bill

Registered
Reaction score
Well that's interesting too. I live not far from London, my mum, and most of the older generation living here are Londoners.

'Gotten' just sounds to me like standard past perfect, it's so unremarkable that it hasn't ever occurred to me that not everybody uses it.

@CrunchyBlanket.

Yes that's true. Just like the word 'soccer' we invented the term and then moan at them for using it haha..

I'm always more interested by the way language evloves than irritated by it. If it didn't work the way it does, the language wouldn't be anything like it is now. Most of the words we consider 'correct' today are just 'bastardisations' (is that even a word? It is now...) of old germanic and French, Latin and Greek, with a little bit of eastern sprinkled in.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I'm often amused by the way British people bitch about Americanisms invading our language when half the time, they originated on our very shores.

I notice the same thing with French speakers from France complaining about le français québécois, when the feature they're annoyed about is in fact archaic French that the Québec preserved.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
One of my favorite "meaning has shifted" terms is "tabled". If one tables a motion in the UK, one brings it up for discussion. If one does so in the US, it means that discussion on it is deferred, probably for good.

Honest Bill

Registered
Reaction score
I notice the same thing with French speakers from France complaining about le français québécois, when the feature they're annoyed about is in fact archaic French that the Québec preserved.

Yes the French are very picky with that sort of thing. They fiercely guard what they see as their correct usage.. But like all other languages, theirs just evolved from older words... it is a 'Romance' language after all.

@CrunchyBlanket.

Haha well don't worry, they're the only ones who still use it, and they don't really like the sport anyway.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite "meaning has shifted" terms is "tabled". If one tables a motion in the UK, one brings it up for discussion. If one does so in the US, it means that discussion on it is deferred, probably for good.

A handful of pebbles from the beach: buxom, quick, homely, pomps, acquit, bully, and the apocryphal awful, artificial, and amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.