Iwik

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - another newbie coming up for air.

I'm a Kiwi and this is my first excursion into social media(?). A bit scary. I have completed two novels, one short listed to the final five of a major New Zealand writing competition( let's not get carried away - 508 entries. Not like your big comps over there). After a couple of unsuccessful queries to agents I gave it a major overhaul and send it out to the world. 25 reject later it was in for more major surgery. It was then taken by a local agent to the Frankfurt Book Fair. I now have three agents assessing the full manuscript.
We had a major earthquake here almost two years ago and felt like turning to something lighter to divert my mind from grim realities until my house undergoes major repairs. The result is a novel based experience,heresy and bullshit. I am interested to find if NZ humor 'travels' to overseas readers

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
IWIK

Thanks for the welcomes.

lastlittlebird - The competition was the 2010 Pinder Unpublished Writer Award.
I have been attempting to change my log in of Eric Smart to iwik (Kiwi backwards), but have had no luck. Any advice?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

We have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

You can send a Private Message or PM to MacAllister or AW Admin about changing your user name

Last edited:

pattycat

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Eric! I like the sound of your novel and now I'm curious what NZ humor is like.

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi pattycat,
Thanks for your welcome. NZ humor tends towards the ironic thought or comment and wry observations, - although some may consider a couple of my scenes a little over the top. Like I say mine is Chaplit humor as apposed to Chick Lit. My other novel is set in Rwanda, so in complete contrast it's pretty grim. I don't mind reading samples of members work to offer opinions and perhaps advice - as long as I'm not swamped.

pattycat

Registered
Reaction score
Eric-
Sounds like my kind of humor. :) Any great NZ authors or books that you can recommend (besides yourself, of course)?

And if you like giving critiques, checkout the SYW (Show Your Work) board and leave some comments. Or volunteer yourself on the beta reader board. :)

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Unimportant,
I don't pretend my humor is anything like those samples shown - at least I hope not. I'd like to think my humor is a little more sophisticated than that.
Eric

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi pattycat,
You've caught me out here. I can't think of any current humorous NZ authors or books. Now there's a challenge - perhaps it's up to me.
A couple of high profile authors currently featuring internationally are Paul Cleave and Lloyd Jones.

pattycat

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to put you on the spot! I've never read a book set in NZ before, so I will check out those authors. Thanks. :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Eric!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about this software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area
and explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-