Protagonist Lazy Day...Help!

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
You guys, my MC is in a fantastical world. She just arrived yesterday and she's currently sitting in a coffee shop awaiting a soy latte......dear god, what have I done? Her love interest is currently at a meeting, discussing strategies in an escalating situation that will eventually turn to war.

I'm writing this in first person so I felt it would be weird to jump into third person to write about the meeting. Should I do that, seeing as this scene is going nowhere? Should I switch to the POV of the other character and keep writing in first person? Should I make something happen to the MC during her lazy day?

Note: She just got rescued last night after being abducted by some of the villains. I'm not sure if another tense moment should happen so soon.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, off the top of my head...have her witness an altercation that has something to do with the tense situation. Or throw in a new character to interact with her about the impending war. Or omgz, poisoned soy latte!

ETA: If you haven't already drawn out an outline, maybe you can do a very loose one based on what happens next. That often helps me when I get stuck in a rut.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
^agreed with what Putputt said. Roughly go through what might happen next. Or even do as you said and just write the scene in third person if that helps you. You could always go back and switch it to first person in the editing stage.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
You're working out the first draft of this story, right? Then don't worry about what the final form will be. Right now your job (that you've already accepted by beginning NaNo, congratulations! :D) is to write your way from the opening line to THE END. Take as many detours as you need. Just keep following the story.

If you're stuck about what to do with your character in the coffee shop, then consider her "on hold" for the moment and focus your attention on where you think the story is happening. If you need to work out what happens while she's off stage, do it. Write the scene with the love interest in the planning meeting. Maybe what happens in that meeting will point you at what happens next.

Remember, also, that you don't need to detail every moment of your characters' lives. If nothing happens while she's in the coffee shop, that's fine. Skip over that time and move on to the next interesting bit. Maybe something happens later when she meets with the love interest after the meeting.

Once you have a completed first draft and can see the whole story from beginning to end, that's when you decide on the best way of relating the tale. For now, just keep writing.

Good luck!

:Sun:

zeragon7

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I actually surprisingly took the useless coffee shop scene and turned it into something very important via text material on the coffee table near where the MC was sitting. She read something that shed a lot of light on what's going on around her and it builds the tension of the overall plot. I don't know how I turned that chapter around, but by the end of it, I was actually pretty satisfied :ROFL: