American Music Curriculum

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, fellow music geeks. I have a freelance gig writing curriculum for learners with disabilities. I'm currently writing a twelve week course entitled "American Music and Culture," and I'd like to ask for your input.

The aim of the course is to teach aspects of American history and culture through American music. I've broken down the course as follows:

First Month: History
Week 1: Native American Music
Week 2: Appalachian Folk Music
Week 3: Negro Spirituals
Week 4: Hymns and Patriotic Songs

Second Month: American Music
Week 1: Blues and Jazz
Week 2: Country and Western
Week 3: Rock and Roll
Week 4: Soul and Hip Hop

Third Month: American Masters
Week 1: Elvis Presley
Week 2: Patsy Cline
Week 3: Aretha Franklin
Week 4: Michael Jackson

It's tough to encapsulate everything in twelve weeks. Do you think I've touched base on all the most important stuff? I've completely left out classical, Broadway, pop, I know, but I have to leave some stuff out.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with everything else except:

Why?

Frank Williams please. And find somewhere to fit Chuck Berry in.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with everything else except:

Why?

Frank Williams please. And find somewhere to fit Chuck Berry in.

Chuck Berry is prominently featured, kicking off rock and roll week.

I included Patsy because I wanted to show the direct line of Appalachian folk through bluegrass and country. I'd originally had my personal fave, Tammy Wynette in that spot, but though her songs are still great, production and performance of her songs have not aged well, IMO. Patsy stands the test of time beautifully. I'd listen to other suggestions for that spot. I want a country-type female, world famous. Shania Twain, maybe? Loretta Lynn? Dolly?

Frank Williams the gospel singer? A bit obscure, I think, though I'm realizing I'm giving gospel short thrift except for early in Aretha week.

Michael Jackson. Love him or hate him, he's a worldwide phenomenon. Who would you suggest for that spot?

Thanks for the input, Will!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Berry is prominently featured, kicking off rock and roll week.

I included Patsy because I wanted to show the direct line of Appalachian folk through bluegrass and country. I'd originally had my personal fave, Tammy Wynette in that spot, but though her songs are still great, production and performance of her songs have not aged well, IMO. Patsy stands the test of time beautifully. I'd listen to other suggestions for that spot. I want a country-type female, world famous. Shania Twain, maybe? Loretta Lynn? Dolly?

Frank Williams the gospel singer? A bit obscure, I think, though I'm realizing I'm giving gospel short thrift except for early in Aretha week.

Michael Jackson. Love him or hate him, he's a worldwide phenomenon. Who would you suggest for that spot?

Thanks for the input, Will!

Oops, sorry. Hank Williams. He's your man.

And I'm more of a Neil Young, Johnny Cash man myself. I'm not a big fan of female country vocalists. But Hank Williams or nothing for me.

At the moment, Jackson is a gimmick. He used to be good in his early days, but after Thriller, everything went downhill and the only reason why his name is around right now, is because of his charades and death. And, I need to add Aretha Franklin up there too, but she was a prominent figure of jazz/blue, so... she'll pass.

James Brown for funk/hip hop? He is father of it.

In all reality, I would put Elvis for Pop, Hank for country, Chuck for rock, and Aretha for blues.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, fellow music geeks. I have a freelance gig writing curriculum for learners with disabilities. I'm currently writing a twelve week course entitled "American Music and Culture," and I'd like to ask for your input.

The aim of the course is to teach aspects of American history and culture through American music. I've broken down the course as follows:

First Month: History
Week 1: Native American Music
Week 2: Appalachian Folk Music
Week 3: Negro Spirituals
Week 4: Hymns and Patriotic Songs

Second Month: American Music
Week 1: Blues and Jazz
Week 2: Country and Western
Week 3: Rock and Roll
Week 4: Soul and Hip Hop

It's tough to encapsulate everything in twelve weeks. Do you think I've touched base on all the most important stuff? I've completely left out classical, Broadway, pop, I know, but I have to leave some stuff out.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Will you talk about the Big Bands? As far as American Masters, I'd go a different way, myself. "Masters" for me would have to consider Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Frank Sinatra, and yes, I agree on Hank Williams, and Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, but I guess it's a taste thing.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
I include Big Band in jazz, probably featuring Duke Ellington. I need one other jazz artist - something very accessible, but completely different from Duke.

I'm also stuck on which rap artist to feature. Rapper's Delight isn't a favorite of mine, but it was a huge hit (and my very first intro to rap). Grandmaster Flash's The Message might be better. Or maybe Public Enemy.

I've put Hank and Johnny Cash in country and western week. JB in soul and hip hop week. I can squeeze Bob Dylan into rock and roll week. Where to put the divine Billie Holliday? She could be soul, blues or jazz.

Smokey and Stevie both are featured in Motown day. Frank? Sorry, Frank. No room for you.

Thanks, Bebop! And, Will, once again.

Deleted member 42

For American Masters, I'd probably handle it a bit differently.

I'd want to talk about Gershwin and Copland, for instance, in part because of the way they use American themes/motifs in their music.

I'd also want to at least nod at Ragtime, and Big Band/Swing.

I don't know that there's anything particularly "American" about Michael Jackson other than the fact of his birth. Dylan and Johnny Cash are overtly American both in terms of their influences and their themes.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I include Big Band in jazz, probably featuring Duke Ellington. I need one other jazz artist - something very accessible, but completely different from Duke.

I'm also stuck on which rap artist to feature. Rapper's Delight isn't a favorite of mine, but it was a huge hit (and my very first intro to rap). Grandmaster Flash's The Message might be better. Or maybe Public Enemy.

I've put Hank and Johnny Cash in country and western week. JB in soul and hip hop week. I can squeeze Bob Dylan into rock and roll week. Where to put the divine Billie Holliday? She could be soul, blues or jazz.

Smokey and Stevie both are featured in Motown day. Frank? Sorry, Frank. No room for you.

Thanks, Bebop! And, Will, once again.

Elvis Presley was a master, but not Frank Sinatra?! Okay, Dolores, I can see that we'll have nothing further to discuss.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
For American Masters, I'd probably handle it a bit differently.

I'd want to talk about Gershwin and Copland, for instance, in part because of the way they use American themes/motifs in their music.

I'd also want to at least nod at Ragtime, and Big Band/Swing.

I don't know that there's anything particularly "American" about Michael Jackson other than the fact of his birth. Dylan and Johnny Cash are overtly American both in terms of their influences and their themes.

Must have Gershwin. Must.

The reason I'm so attached to Michael Jackson is, that when I previously taught the class, that was probably the most popular week. I'll mull on it.
Jazz was the least popular.

Elvis Presley was a master, but not Frank Sinatra?! Okay, Dolores, I can see that we'll have nothing further to discuss.

Hee, hee. Music geeks be feisty. Thing is - I'm using music to teach history. What does Frank bring to the lesson?

Eliza azilE

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering:

For the very early stuff, will you be digging into Harry Smith's famous ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC box-set?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't mean to scar up your thread, OP.

Last edited:

Eliza azilE

Registered
Reaction score
And I'm sure you can find the two minutes needed to play a Ramones tune.

The kid'll love it. And The Ramones were far more influential than, say, Sinatra. Yep. You read that right.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and you might consider Louie Armstrong for an accessible jazz guy.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
For the very early stuff, will you be digging into Harry Smith's famous ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC box-set?

I'm using the track listing for reference, but looking for YouTube clips. I'd like for there to be interesting visuals to go with the music. There's some amazing archival material on YouTube, particularly from Smithsonian Folkways and the Lomax Archives. Was geeking out bad last night on chain gang songs.

Didn't mean to scar up your thread, OP.

No problem, Bebop. You've been a great help.

And I'm sure you can find the two minutes needed to play a Ramones tune.

Can't think of a better way to end rock and roll week!

Oh, and you might consider Louie Armstrong for an accessible jazz guy.

Good one! Thanks.