Switching novels

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is it crazy to switch novels this late in the game? I just don't think I will make it to 50k words by the end of the month with the one I have been working on. It is very serious and I find myself writing it slowly. I want to switch over to something fun and silly. I have a feeling I will write that one faster. Have any of you switched? Were you glad you did? What are some of the pros and cons to making this move?

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I did that about three days ago. But I did it the opposite of you - I went from light-hearted to a much more gritty novel.

Pros - there is still plenty of time left in the month to get it done. Sure it may mean dedicating a little more time each day and maybe an all-nighter(which I'm doing tomorrow) but it is still possible.

Cons - maybe the mindset of "this is going to be almost impossible" will creep into your mind from time to time but just push it back.

Hope this helps

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
If I were you I would just be a rebel and include my word count from the dropped project. As long as you keep writing.

Why would anyone do that? Isn't the goal to write a novel in a month?

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Yes and no. The goal is to write 50k words, ideally a completed novel. But I know a lot of people who worked on multiple projects.

NaNo is what you make of it. If it counts as a win in your mind, and you're not just typing garbage words to make the mark, then I say that's what matters. Personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

And yes, it's still possible to write 50k of the new book by the end. I started on the 8th last year and made it. With only moderate hand cramping and frying brain cells. ;)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It's National NOVEL Month not national write-50,000-words month. For me, if I am going to do this, I am going to do it right.