Want to change from mainstream fiction to horror, 10K into the novel

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting bored with my novel. It's about a society that has run out of gasoline and everyone has to walk everywhere, America is rioting and people are hiding in the wilderness to survive. There is no food.

It's not exciting enough.

I want to add a twist: a crazed inventor thinks he has discovered the answer to the oil shortage: take dead bodies and compress them under artificial conditions that replicate what organic waste experienced for millions of years, and turn them into...MORE OIL. In other words, the dead become a brand new industry, and this leads to all sorts of complications....

Too crazy? Can I change this to a horror story, 10K into the novel? I wrote my first short horror story recently and I think I liked it, Maybe I want to go back to that...

thanks for any input...i think too much, especially out loud.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think that's an awesome idea. :)

10k in isn't too bad... I mean, the plot is just starting to get going, right? You might still edit that 10k in December to make it spookified a little, sure... But I think there's no real problem with heading into horror territory at this point.

Just my opinion, but there you go. :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great idea with tons of potential! I say go with it.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I am just so glad to get a re-energized idea.

*looking at putputt's signature/word count, falling into a dead faint*

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Agree with the others. I've read a lot of horror novels that start off perfectly normal. Others have some foreshadowing. Go for it, if it's got you excited!

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
thanks everyone! i'm so self-absorbed about this novel....i just want to keep it going, and to remain excited about it!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I am just so glad to get a re-energized idea.

*looking at putputt's signature/word count, falling into a dead faint*

It's a great idea! I truly love your twisted mind.

:D I'm fortunate cause I work as a wedding photographer and it's off-season now...so I get to just stay home and write my hippo butt off.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Last year we got a pep talk from Erin Morgenstern (also an AW member) about her NaNo novel, The Night Circus. Halfway through she got bored, so she sent her characters to a circus, and that's what the novel became. Now it's a best-seller.

There is no problem with changing your novel halfway. Add a note and highlight it, then start writing the novel in the new way, or just start from scratch (but keep those first 10K words until Dec. 1)