AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Hitting a Bullseye

Threaded View

I keep my head firmly in the clouds MorganMarshall's Avatar

Hitting a Bullseye

So, I have a plan...

I decided that over the next few months I will be working hard to polish my manuscript. I will, during that time, be querying agents and editors as well. However, after over three years, if by February I have not at least landed an agent, I have decided to self-publish. This has been a VERY difficult decision for me. I plan on making DAMN sure that I have it edited to the teeth and perfected as humanly possible (I am seriously considering hiring a professional editor as well), and I have a great illustrator all lined up as well.

I will have a budget for advertising and such, which cannot exceed $2,000.

So. Here's my question: what, in your opinion, are the most important things I should invest in for maximum visibility? Buying copies of my book and handing them out? Selling at local stores? Renting a convention booth (it's sci-fi)? Paying reviewers? Advertising on Facebook?

What do you think? I want my money to go as far as possible. I am also looking around this forum for ideas and whatnot. You guys rock! Thank you!
    Last edited by MorganMarshall; 11-08-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: clarity
    "We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today." ~ Stacia Tauser

WIP:

Blog
    Facebook
    Twitter