NaNo Reminder: Back up your work!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
In the craziness of NaNo, it may be easy to forget to back up your work.

Every year, there's some poor soul who loses their hard work from a blown hard drive or other reasons. Save to a thumb drive or rewriteable CD/DVD or simply email yourself the file.

I saved my work every day (sometimes several times a day if I had a big writing day) with a copy to a thumb drive and emailed it to myself as an attachment.

Best wishes to everyone participating!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good call! Like you, I also try to save in two places at least once a day. You can also use an online syncing program like Google Drive (a sort of combination of the old Google Docs, and Dropbox) or Dropbox. NaNo website also sells "MY NOVEL" USB drive bracelets, which are extremely neat. Sometimes at the office big box stores they sell USB bracelets, lanyards, or novelty shapes like LEGO :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I bought one of those NaNo USB bracelets, so I've been copying my novel onto that before I shut down or move locations.

Dreadful Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
This.

It's unrelated to my NaNo work specifically, but I've had two hard drives and a couple of those old 3.5" floppy disks (remember those?) fail in my life. The second time a hard drive kicked the bucket, everything was backed up via my Carbonite account so I was able to retrieve everything.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Now that I've read this thread, I'd better email myself a backup. Reading about backing up and then not doing it is like using 'famous last words'.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've read this thread, I'd better email myself a backup. Reading about backing up and then not doing it is like using 'famous last words'.

Exactly! I like emailing the file since it gets the file out of my house in case of fire (I live in an old log house). Those Web sites that provide file backups (like Kitty Pryde mentioned) are stellar and would get ALL files out of the house, but I've never done that...yet.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes at the office big box stores they sell USB bracelets, lanyards, or novelty shapes like LEGO :D

I'm using two USB drives and my computer currently.

But now I need to get a LEGO USB drive. Not to use but just admire in all its beauty. I love LEGO!:D