Warning: adult situations, language, etc.

This is an amazing (and amazingly depressing) post:

http://www.thebooklantern.com/2012/1...haming-of.html

I’ve written extensively about the Hush Hush series (which I still refuse to call a saga) and my distaste for it, particularly with the slut-shaming tactics used in the characterisation of the female antagonist Marcie. This character, essentially pitched as the polar opposite of heroine Nora, is barely given the dignity of a three dimensional character. In lieu of complexities, nuance and anything resembling a real emotion, Marcie is characterised solely as the “slut”. She’s bad because she has sex (or is at least promiscuous in her behaviour) and she acts sexually because she’s bad. She wears provocative clothing, is open about her sexual desires and kisses Patch AFTER he’s broken up with Nora (who breaks up with him because he can’t feel anything for her sexually due to being a fallen angel, even though he admits he feels for her emotionally, thus cementing Nora’s priorities). Honestly, Marcie ended up being my favourite character in the book because I felt so sorry for her. I felt even sorrier for her when I saw the reactions of some fans of the book on GoodReads:

“Patch: What the actual fuck is wrong with you? Marcie? Hon you about to get AIRBORN herpies that chick is nasty. You tell Nora a human body is nothing without her yet you DATE that skank.”

Of course, nobody puts their view of Marcie across clearer than the book itself:

“Marcie puts out,” said Vee. “That’s the only reason. She’s a pig. A rat.”

A pig.

A rat.
Read the whole thing--it's sobering.

The books she’s talking about are some of the most popular contemporary YA romances out there.

Just, wow.