• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I think my writing is improving

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
Like the title says, I think my writing has improved greatly compared to when I first started (at age 13.) I've been writing for 11 years now and am happier with my writing, (sometimes) although I am aware that I still have much to learn. There can be times when I read a passage and think it sucks, but I guess that's true of everyone. But writing/reading a lot has contributed.

Is it arrogant to think that way?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with thinking that way. Frankly, if you don't think your writing is improving, something is wrong. Every day you write, your writing should be better than the day before. Every book you read should improve your writing. It's not at all arrogant to think you're getting better; it's realistic.

Personally, I know my writing has improved. I read through some of my old stuff and cringe. There are needlessly complicated sentences and phrase constructions, stilted dialogue, head-hopping like crazy, and many other problems. If I were still writing at the same level I was at even two years ago, I'd be concerned that I'll never make it. But I know I'm improving every day, every time I write.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, if you don't think your writing is improving, something is wrong.

I agree.

I think there might be a problem when a writer doesn't see improvement, or doesn't believe they will improve.

It's good that you're seeing it, either intentional or not.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Nope.

I've definitely improved, too. :)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I've definitely improved. In fact, I can notice a difference from when I started with my rewrite of my WIP a few years ago (yes, years, not months, I'm terribly slow) to what I'm writing now. It's going to be fun when I get to the editing part to make the whole thing read with the same voice and style all the way through.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with thinking that way. Frankly, if you don't think your writing is improving, something is wrong.

Just wanted to add my agreement to this sentiment.

You've been writing for over a decade, so if you haven't improved significantly, there are two possibilities:

1. You just don't have the aptitude for writing

2. You're so gifted to begin with that there is little room for improvement

The above two scenarios are not that common.

I reckon most of us would improve after a decade of writing.

As for arrogance, maybe having some is not such a bad thing. I assume you want to be published or continue to be published. Getting published seems so extraordinarily hard that perhaps a little arrogance is a good thing. Not so much arrogance that you become obnoxious about it, but have enough of it so you'll keep going. It's easy to look at cold statistics and feel discouraged about becoming a published writer. But a little arrogance might keep your motivation up against the odds.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
If you thought your writing was getting worse, would that make you a self-flagellating fool? The answer to both questions is no. At least if your not delusional. :)

I sincerely hope that - from 13 to 24 - you've gotten better at many things in life. Further, if you've been writing diligently, it would be a very sad thing if you didn't feel you were getting better.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's arrogant to think you've improved. :)

I think I've improved over the years. I would be worried if I started thinking that I had nothing left to improve on.

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For a conscientious, dedicated writer, any periodic self-assessment should show either evident improvement, or a sense of better understanding of the craft, and hopefully both. There is nothing wrong with being proud of one's accomplishments, particularly if they are achieved through that consciousness and dedication. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and pride of accomplishment only crosses that line when the author begins to believe his/her accomplishments are to a point where he/she can slack off on a continued path of the consciousness and dedication that brought him/her to the current level of achievement.

runningfree

Registered
Reaction score
You have to allow yourself to notice your improvements otherwise you'll get REALLY frustrated that you DON'T see an improvement! Trust me on that point... :p

If you get arrogant about it, you won't notice when you make a mistake and you'll have your nose stuck up so far in the air that the lack of oxygen will clearly affect your brain. :p

It sounds like you're growing confident to me and that's totally different than arrogance. Confidence is when you know your craft, you know how it works, how it will react, when is the best time to work, etc.

Hold on to that rare feeling of confidence now because there WILL be a critic out there somewhere ready to snatch that confidence away and it'll be tough to get it back.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
For a conscientious, dedicated writer, any periodic self-assessment should show either evident improvement, or a sense of better understanding of the craft, and hopefully both.
Huh. Very well put. I'll keep that in mind when I self-evaluate my own writing - what am I doing better (or worse...), and what have I learned?

Funny enough, I think a fair amount of arrogance can actually be beneficial to a writer - in fact, I think you have to be a bit arrogant! :p Without confidence, how can you put so much of your work out there for all to see? But that's just me...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've improved, over time, in technical prose construction. I'm pretty goddam clean at that. What I don't seem to have improved on is publication acceptability. If anything, that has got worse.

By every piece of advice I've ever seen here, that isn't supposed to happen.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with thinking that, though I'm the opposite. The older I get, the worse my writing seems to me. I though it was all great when I first started, but the more I learn, the worse my writing seems to be, and the harder it is to write something that I really like.

Doesn't matter, really. I write them, submit them, and usually sell them. But it takes twice as long now to write the same type of story I was satisfied with when I first started.

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's arrogant. I think it would be a problem if you never found areas you can still improve on. I think I've learned the most just by reading and actually thinking about the sentence structure as I'm reading it. With every book I read, I see more of what works and then apply it to how I write.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Like the title says, I think my writing has improved greatly compared to when I first started (at age 13.) I've been writing for 11 years now and am happier with my writing, (sometimes) although I am aware that I still have much to learn. There can be times when I read a passage and think it sucks, but I guess that's true of everyone. But writing/reading a lot has contributed.

I see not one smidge of arrogance in your posting. I see a writer dedicated to the craft, who knows she's improving but can do better, and who is working toward achieving that. Who would possibly misconstrue that as arrogance?

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I started writing at 11. I did short stories then and they were horrible. I cringe when I glance back at them. I tried to burn them once, but my parents leapt in, raked the papers into their arms, and vanished saying, 'No! No! These are our relics!' :Shrug:

I remember two years ago thinking, 'I'm a good writer. not great, but yeah, I'm good!' Now, I look at what I was writing and think. 'It's okay, but it can be better' and am continually improving my work.

I think I'm pretty good at writing, but we improve everyday. I'm not ready to be published, but when I am, that'll be the sign I am surely confident in my work. :) Right now I think it's good, but just not good enough yet.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score

After 11 years of writing (or even 11 weeks) it would be almost impossible to not have improved. There is nothing wrong at all with feeling that you are improving and that your work is helping your ability. That's the only way to get better, with practice. I'm sure everyone on this site would feel they are a better writer today than they were when they first started. Keep working and you will continue to improve.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to burn them once, but my parents leapt in, raked the papers into their arms, and vanished saying, 'No! No! These are our relics!' :Shrug:

That's hilarious! I'm sure you'll be glad you have them someday, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.