• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Needed for YA Adventure/Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. M. Howard

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for someone to beta read my YA adventure/fantasy novella, The Two Worlds. The manuscript is 31k words. Here's a few paragraphs to give you a sense of what the story is about:

The day I found Tugor I learned three things: Grass can talk, the sun can frown and there is life on other planets.

Let me explain.

My name is Kathleena Ann McLaughlin, and I am one half of the Akearman Star legend. I am an Awakener, and a supposed savior of my new planet. But the day I found Tugor, I was just an average seventeen year old that happened to take a nap in Science class.

The day hadn't started out the way I would have planned. I was running late, had missed my bus, and my grandmother Mary wouldn't budge on letting me take her old Oldsmobile out of the garage. This meant I had to cough up bus money and brave the horrible public transportation that Jackson offered.

It was the middle of August and the humidity bore down on me as I trekked up our massive hill to the main street where the bus stop beckoned. When I finally made it there, my sandy brown hair was standing on ends from the heat and my carefully placed eyeliner was starting to run. Perfect.

“You look like hell,” my sister Nia greeted me as I stalked into the school towards my locker. “What happened?”

“Alarm clock,” I grumbled, opening the locker a bit too hard. It bounced back with a claaaang. Nia winced.

“Late night?”

“Forgot I had a book report for English that's due,” I sighed. “Had to pull an all nighter.”

“That sucks,” Nia sympathized, falling into step with me. I smirked to myself. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Nia's straight A, teacher pet record was untarnished.
We walked in silence for a few moments before Nia perked, “So guess who asked me out this morning at breakfast?”

I quirked an eyebrow. Guys were always asking Nia out and who could blame them? With long legs, honey brown skin and big brown eyes, Nia was irresistible to any high school male. She was also picky.

“Another jock?”

“Yeah, but not just any jock. Lamar Delucca.” I raised my other eyebrow. Lamar was the stereotypical popular jock—All American, rich, great looking. But for some reason, he never had a girlfriend. Rumor around school was that he preferred the same sex, but his clout with everyone made him immune from harassment.

“Didn’t know he was interested in your type,” I quipped, chuckling. Nia threw me a glare.

“He’s not gay, Nia,” she sighed. “He’s just shy. Anyway, he asked me out and I said yes.”

“When’s the date?”

“This Friday. We’re going to see Kill It Before It Dies.”

“Sounds fun.”

Nia sighed again, happy with herself. I rolled my eyes before we went our separate ways, off to class. The first stop for me was dreaded Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.