• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Quirk Books

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have updated info on Quirk's response times? I queried them a month ago and so far nothing.

BlossomQueen

Playing the Waiting Game
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have updated info on Quirk's response times? I queried them a month ago and so far nothing.

Not sure if you're still checking for them, but if anyone wants to know, it took about three weeks for them to get back to me with a partial request.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I never did receive a response from them.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They haven't responded to my queries either. I did two and still nothing. One December of last year and another 6 months later. Maybe that was a bad idea, but I figured the first one was a rejected non response.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
I've queried them twice. No response to either.

WDusty

Registered
Reaction score
Queried back in January. No response.

Frankly, I never bought into the "we don't have time to respond to all queries" story. If you have time to open an email and have time to read the query, then I think you can manage the ordeal of clicking the Reply button and typing--or copy-pasting-- "Thank you for submitting to [us]. After reviewing your submission, we've decided your material does not match our current needs. We wish you the best going forward. Regards, blah blah blah."

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

Frankly, I never bought into the "we don't have time to respond to all queries" story. If you have time to open an email and have time to read the query, then I think you can manage the ordeal of clicking the Reply button and typing--or copy-pasting-- "Thank you for submitting to [us]. After reviewing your submission, we've decided your material does not match our current needs. We wish you the best going forward. Regards, blah blah blah."

I used to feel the same way, and it does sound simple (and the professional thing to do). Until you read the responses agents and pubs get to rejections. Some of them are downright scary. The ease of the reply button goes both ways.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
FWIW, Paul Stevens was an editor at Quirk Books and my agent subbed a project to him last year. We heard nothing back for quite a while and my agent has since learned that Paul is no longer an editor and is now an agent himself at Donald Maas.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

And for everyone who angsts over the fact agents/editors didn't send at least a form response, there are hundreds of other folks getting pissed because they only got a form response and "why can't they manage at least one sentence that's indicates they actually read my query/submission package?" It's pretty much no-win for agents/editors in that regard.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
It's frustrating as hell, I know. But it can be downright scary on the agent's or editor's side, too. I get tired of the no-response crowd, and I've helped out in an agency years ago. The only thing that grounds me now is to mentally close out the query at the end of five months. Interested agents will usually respond much sooner. If they respond much later, I have to wonder about their workload, organizational skills...and hope their current clients are getting the diligence that querying authors do not. It's harder to walk away from what you might consider a 'dream agent', until you realize that they can't be *your* dream agent if they didn't care about the query, the partial, or the full.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
It's frustrating as hell, I know. But it can be downright scary on the agent's or editor's side, too. I get tired of the no-response crowd, and I've helped out in an agency years ago. The only thing that grounds me now is to mentally close out the query at the end of five months. Interested agents will usually respond much sooner. If they respond much later, I have to wonder about their workload, organizational skills...and hope their current clients are getting the diligence that querying authors do not. It's harder to walk away from what you might consider a 'dream agent', until you realize that they can't be *your* dream agent if they didn't care about the query, the partial, or the full.

You make some good points. I have no issue with no response to a query or even a partial, but I do get frustrated when agents do not respond to a full. How long do you give it before you mark it a CNR?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed to them on May 17th of last year (~360 days ago), to Rick, with a note to myself that he might not respond. Of the ~40 presses I looked at that did not require an agent, ~16 or so looked legit and safe to me. This was one of those 16 or so.

No response after ~360 days from Rick and I assume it's pass (I self-published in November so it's moot at this point anyway.)

Reactions: Lineykins