Tell Me About Idaho?

-alex-

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

The bulk of my new WIP is set in Idaho, and, well, I don’t know very much about the state. I was wondering if you guys could help me out?

I'm looking for an area of the state to concentrate my research on.
However, there are several factors to consider.

1) Most of the story is set deep in the Idaho trails—a good few days hiking to the nearest signs of civilization. It doesn’t matter where, really, as long as there’s a river near by—it’s important to they story.

2) I also need a town which my characters are passing through at the beginning of the story. This town MUST back on to the edge one of the forests, and MUST have a river close by.

3) The river. This is important. My MC falls into the (fast flowing? Rapids?) river and almost drowns, but is rescued another character. The water needs to carry her quite a few miles (as far as realistically possible) away from the town and the rest of the group she was with, into the heart of the forest.

It needs to be far enough away that the group my MC was with do not find her, even though they do their best to search for her. (They would have no idea she fell into the river).

Thanks guys.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Idaho has lots of rivers. I'd get or google a good map and take a look. It's also very mountainous and forested.

The areas I've been in have been Boise and McCall. McCall might be a good starting place to look. It's a resort town on a lake ringed by forest.

Oh, and for the record: most of the Idaho potato fields are actually in Eastern Oregon. I know that because my uncle was the president of Or-Ida.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Get thee to a good map. The northern panhandle of the state, up near the Canadian border, might be a good place to set the story. Mountainous and forested. The major town up there is Coeur d'Alene.

caw

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty and mountainous up here in Northern Idaho. Look for trails heading towards the Clearwater River. Not too many towns nearby but there's a highway following a fair amount of the river so you could get picked up by someone passing by after an injury. Orofino would be the town you'd fall in at and then head downstream a ways. When the river is running high there are some definite rapids.

It's October and the weather has turned. Any river is going to be pretty brutally cold. Nights are awful now too for anyone who doesn't have the right survival gear.

Thing is, this area isn't built up but there are people driving by all the time. You'd get rescued and be out of the wilderness in no time. You will probably want to put them into one of the national forest areas in this region. There's loads of little lakes and rivers all over, especially further north. Just keep in mind that many of them are mountain rivers and they are *cold*.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For really bitching names, you can't beat Hell's Canyon, Snake River and The Frank Church River Of No Return Wlderness. You can't even make up a name as good as that last one!

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Used to live in Idaho and Montana. There's a little town called St. Anthony, which is close to Teton National Park, and the Henry's Fork of the Snake River runs right through town. There are also the St. Anthony Sand Dunes five miles from town.

Joemassaro

Professional Hack Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephpmassaro.com
My girlfriend is from Idaho. She describes a lot of the towns as very quiet (boring really...her words), but mentions that the town's character can depend on what part of Idaho you want to set your town in. A lot of rural, socially conservative philosophies throughout the state and particularly in small towns - as a general rule...but places like Sun Valley and Boise are more liberal (but are also not small towns). You also have a lot of militia types in the northern part.
The state is also heavy into agriculture, so that might also be a backdrop for your town. hope that is helpful on the town part.
Joe