Moving from Big to Indie Publisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelybone

Registered
Reaction score
After putting out several successful books with a Big 6 publisher, I just signed my first contract with a fairly new indie publisher. It was for a lot less money, obviously, but the book bends genres and therefore was passed up by the larger publishers. I'd self-published before, to less-than-spectacular results, so I thought I'd give indie a try, rather than tossing my book under the bed.

My next book is more commercial and my agent is going to try for larger publisher again. I'm concerned that it might be harder, though, with my last book being indie-published.

Conventional wisdom states that you start small and go bigger. Does anyone have any thoughts about moving to an Indie after being published traditionally? Can one successfully move back and forth between the two? In the end, is a good track record of sales all that matters?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Independent publishers are trade publishers just like the Big Six are, it's just that independents tend to be smaller. So you'd not be moving from an independent to a trade publisher ("traditional" isn't the right term to use).

Plenty of writers publish with several different publishers, depending on the genre of the work they produce. It's not a big deal--so long as your sales remain good.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only issue I have ever had with using multiple publishers is exclusivity clauses in the contracts. I primarily have two publishers, one is small print runs of more specific subjects and the other is Big 6. Neither would probably want the books I sell to the other anyway, but I find much better results with the readers using the two directions.

I'm also seriously looking at self-publishing as a third option, for really exclusive books (like might sell 500 copies in a good decade). But since I'm choosing publishers by target readership and sales potential, I doubt any of the publishers will have an issue.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.