What would you do?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So here's what happened:

We want to change oil companies. I talked to a guy on Friday who told me he wanted to come look at our oil burner and tank first before signing us up.

He said he could come over today. Fine. He said, "How about 9 a.m.?"
I said NO, that's too early, it would have to be in the afternoon. He said, "How about early afternoon, 12:30 to 1?" I said that would be fine.

What did he do? He showed up at my house this morning at 9, ringing the doorbell. I was barely awake, still in a nightgown. There's no way I was going to the door like that. And of course my house was a mess, since I hadn't been up yet to prepare it for someone coming over. So I ignored the doorbell. He left a message on my answering machine, something like, "I came by for our appointment at 9. If you want to re-schedule, you can call and leave a message on our office machine." Something like that.

Huh????

I called shortly after that and left a message saying we did not agree on 9 a.m., we agreed on Saturday afternoon around 12:30 to 1. And then I went crazy cleaning up my house, figuring he would get the message and come at the right time.

He hasn't come back.

Should I hunt for a different oil company?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, find another company. One who knows and understands the words customer service

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, find another company. One who knows and understands the words customer service

I will be calling other companies on Monday morning.

I just hope he doesn't show up at my door on Monday.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like it could have been an honest mistake, and his failure to come by later may have been because he had other jobs scheduled and didn't check his messages. Working in the trades often means a person just can't stay as electronically connected as employees in other fields can.

One screw-up, I would give the benefit of the doubt on. Two, and I would start to suspect the company isn't particularly competent. It's your call; if there are other options, you've got every right to explore them.

sailor

still new
Registered
Reaction score
I will be calling other companies on Monday morning.

I just hope he doesn't show up at my door on Monday.

If the dipstick shows up Monday, tell him he blew his chance. If he can't remember the right time, doesn't return a call, to heck with him.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He never came back yesterday afternoon and didn't call.

So I will be calling other oil companies tomorrow morning. The way I look at it is there are many other companies looking for customers. When I tell someone I'll be somewhere at a certain time, I'm there. You can't just show up at someone's house whenever you feel like it.