Career path of an agent?

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how a person becomes an agent as a career path.

I did a bit of searching in this forum and didn't find anything related to how to work as an agent (for other authors, not in representing your own work). I'm curious what kind of qualifications and career paths agents "typically" have - ie, the path one would take toward becoming a good candidate for hire as a literary agent. I assume these are hard jobs to come by, as is my understanding of most publishing jobs?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You need relevant experience gained in publishing, usually working for an agency or in editorial departments in a publishing house.

Internships are a common way in but these are usually unpaid, so you have to have money and accomodation in London or New York. There's a huge amount of competition for these intern's positions but they're worth it if you can get one: I recently read an agent tweet that she would much rather employ people from the work experience people who have worked for her than risk interviewing strangers.

The job of agent isn't an easy one to get, it requires years of experience, and much of that experience is gained at low pay. Once one becomes an agent one's pay takes another dip, as it can take three years or more before you start earning anything like a reasonable amount, because of the way publishing contracts pay out.

It isn't an easy route to take.

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Those two links were both VERY helpful and interesting. Seems like all things point to beginning with an internship. (wait, I think somebody told me that a hundred years ago when I was in college...)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agent travels a path deep into the countryside, at midnight, no moon, to a deserted crossroads, there to meet with Mephisto and make the first of many deals.

caw