Nobody has civil rights, except black people

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
In a way this is a remarkable statement by anyone involved in political commentary. The essence of what Ann Coulter is saying here is that nobody has civil rights, except for the ones that government has acted in a systemic way against.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/us-pundit-says-civil-rights-are-‘blacks-not-gays’240912
In an interview with This Week host George Stephanopoulos, she said: ‘Various groups [including] gay rights groups, those defending immigrants, and feminists have commandeered the black civil rights experience.’

Coulter said she thinks ‘civil rights are for blacks’ because the United States has a ‘legacy of slavery and Jim Crow laws.’

So, in Ms Coulter's views, the only people that have civil rights are black people, because of the history of apartheid and slavery. Nobody else has civil rights. Not women, not hispanics, not LGBT. Note that she did not include rich white people in that list.

The thing is that Ms Coulter has a law degree from University of Michigan and a BA from Cornell. I've never thought Ms Coulter to be stupid - arrogant, pompous, rude, and elitist yes but not stupid. So what gives with her saying this?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I ignore everything Ann Coulter says. It's safer that way.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is that Ms Coulter has a law degree from University of Michigan and a BA from Cornell. I've never thought Ms Coulter to be stupid - arrogant, pompous, rude, and elitist yes but not stupid. So what gives with her saying this?
My best guess is that she knows that it's bullshit. However, she's an attention whore. She'll say damn near anything to have the right wing attention and cheers. In many respects, she's Rush as a girl, but smarter. As a side note, this is the same person who said that women shouldn't vote, so nothing she says by now should be surprising.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked her better with her mouth wired shut.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I ignore everything Ann Coulter says. It's safer that way.

That's your right.

But she also speaks to quite a big portion of a community, and each things she says edges people toward normalisation of the views she espouses.

I'm sorry, this may sound blunt, and I'm not trying to sound mean, but sticking fingers in the ears and making noises doesn't diminish the effect she has on the people who don't mind her.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
She showed up on Rock Center (not 30 Rock - sorry, Mac) last week in a piece called "War of Words" along with interviews with O'Reilly and Maher. The piece left little hope for the future of facts or civil discourse.

chatter

With seemingly catatonic awareness!
Registered
Reaction score
That's your right.

But she also speaks to quite a big portion of a community, and each things she says edges people toward normalisation of the views she espouses.

I'm sorry, this may sound blunt, and I'm not trying to sound mean, but sticking fingers in the ears and making noises doesn't diminish the effect she has on the people who don't mind her.

You believe that her rantings have an impact on a big portion of the community?

You do not believe that a larger portion knows when they're being dictated to?

You'd need solid evidence that her views are in fact adopted and accepted as fact by that large portion.

I for one believe that she has no influence and looks instead to create dissent and division. If she can get one person talking about her views and get that one person to offer his or her view on her views, she's collecting critical mass and accomplished exactly what she wanted.

Would you have even considered such a preposterous stance if it wasn't for her creating the stance?

Divide and conquer.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's Ann Coulter. Taking anything that dribbles out of her maw seriously is like asking a box turtle its thoughts on political issues, imo. Woman ain't right.

Either she's as stupid as she seems (my particular favourite was when she insisted Canada fought in Vietnam), or just a troll who says whatever random nonsense she thinks will get press (see the 9-11 families stuff).

I don't think she speaks for a portion of anything - it's not like she's got a built-in audience anyplace I know of. She's got no show, radio or tv; even Bill Maher won't have her on anymore.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You'd need solid evidence that her views are in fact adopted and accepted as fact by that large portion.

So, your contention is that the fact that Todd Akin is running a tight race against Claire McCaskill down in Missouri is not due due his statements and policies? It's just some magical piece of luck?

Or are you going to say that "Coulter is not a politician"? Do you need a political position to have political influence on the people that vote for a guy like Todd Akin? If Coulter has no such position, her words, and her audience in a place like Missouri, her statements - which are out there - are null and void and meaningless?

I'm sorry. I don't buy that. I can't afford to buy that.

chatter

With seemingly catatonic awareness!
Registered
Reaction score
So, your contention is that the fact that Todd Akin is running a tight race against Claire McCaskill down in Missouri is not due due his statements and policies? It's just some magical piece of luck?

Or are you going to say that "Coulter is not a politician"? Do you need a political position to have political influence on the people that vote for a guy like Todd Akin? If Coulter has no such position, her words, and her audience in a place like Missouri, her statements - which are out there - are null and void and meaningless?

I'm sorry. I don't buy that. I can't afford to buy that.

Resistance is futile, Maxinquave. No, just kidding there.

The idea is, when she's brought up by someone or some group and they are supporting her ideas, do not entertain the stance and give it credence by offering an opinion on her stupidity.

Instead, write her off as a wing nut and bring clarity back to those who have been effectively hypnotized into considering her as smart and influential.

I believe there's the same chance that your indifference to her points of view will gain critical mass as much as hers.

Especially if your position can be presented to an audience of any kind. Like this one.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
So Ann Coulter says she doesn't have any civil rights.

Allow me a Star Trek moment, as I invoke Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

"Make it so, Number One."

:D

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Between Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin there is approximately one tenth of one percent of a brain cell.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if she is secretly a liberal and is just satirizing the right.
This looks remarkably like a variation on Poe's Law.
Between Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin there is approximately one tenth of one percent of a brain cell.
Let me guess, Michelle says Asian Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, in Ms Coulter's views, the only people that have civil rights are black people, because of the history of apartheid and slavery. Nobody else has civil rights. Not women, not hispanics, not LGBT. Note that she did not include rich white people in that list.

See that's where we differ. I think Ann Coulter is stupid. Stupid enough to believe if she flashes her degrees along with her skinny legs in a short skirt, only smart people won't notice how full of shit she is.

Here's the quote from This Week:
“I think what — the way liberals have treated blacks like children and many of their policies have been harmful to blacks, at least they got the beneficiary group right,” Coulter said. “There is the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow laws. We don’t owe the homeless. We don’t owe feminists. We don’t owe women who are desirous of having abortions, but that’s — or — or gays who want to get married to one another. That’s what civil rights has become for much of the left.”

When asked whether immigrant rights were not civil rights, Coulter responded, “No. I think civil rights are for blacks… What have we done to the immigrants? We owe black people something. We have a legacy of slavery. Immigrants haven’t even been in this country.”
There's all kinds of wrong in those two graphs, but here's where I think Coulter is most in error. It is debatable what it is America supposedly "owes" Blacks from the day when it owned Blacks.

What exactly are Blacks owed? Reparations for centuries of unpaid labor? Forty acres and a mule? An all-expenses paid college education at a Ivy League school? A bucket of Popeye's chicken and Kim Kardashian's cell phone number?

This reflects a fundamental failure to grasp what the Civil Rights movement was waged for. Blacks were certainly beneficiaries of the reforms brought about by the passage of the ’64 and ’65 Civil Rights Acts, but it was never the sole purpose to help only African-Americans. Martin Luther King, Jr., made it plain when he said, “If physical death is the price that I must pay to free my white brothers and sisters from a permanent death of the spirit, then nothing can be more redemptive.”

It wasn’t just the souls of Black folks that were on the line. White folks were doomed to be destroyed by their own racism as much as any Negro. Only radical surgery to expel the cancer of racial hatred from the hearts of America could spare it from a second Civil War.

Ann Coulter wouldn’t know anything about that.

The only thing America "owes" Blacks are the exact same rights it guaranteed to everyone but Blacks when they were written out of the Constitution. Personally, I've got my eye on a new Chrysler 300, but I'm not expecting Barack Obama to buy one for me.

That's your right.

I really don't care if someone believes the crap Ann Coulter bony ass farts out. I don't care how big of a portion that community is. That's their problem.

Coulter speaks to a portion of a community that digs her nasty, ugly, "I'm better than you" philosophy. This is a woman who let us know what her hustle was early on when she said, "I am emboldened by my looks to say things Republican men wouldn't."

I take Annie at her word. And her looks are nothing to get hot and bothered about.

Her expertise on matters of race is confined to profoundness such as, “our blacks are so much better than their blacks” because “you have fought against probably your family, probably your neighbors… that’s why we have very impressive blacks."

Oh, and if it wasn't clear, I am trying to sound mean because when I say I do not care, I mean it.

Coulter's only "expertise" is relentless self-promotion, no matter who she has to shiv to get it.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
"What have we done to the immigrants?"

I can think of a lot of Japanese Americans who can give her an answer to that one. Or does throwing people into camps not count as something bad our government did?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
So, according to Ann, we only "owe" civil rights to people we've enslaved, and fuck everyone else.

And women shouldn't vote, because they vote "wrong." Especially single women.

Riiiiiiight. Okay. Someone needs to pat Ann tenderly on the hand and quietly lead her offstage now.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. She also rather famously supports reinstating a poll tax.

So...basically, if you belong to a group that tends to vote in a way she doesn't like, she doesn't think you should be allowed to vote at all.

Truly, the spirit of democracy. [/sarcasm]