Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maryn's handy-dandy guide to posting images that are 400 x 400 or less. Anything larger than 400 x 400 is Not Good.

1) Take a digital photograph.
2) Put the photograph on your computer, ideally with a meaningful name, so you can find it again.
3) Resize the photograph using any image manipulation program, such as Paint, PhotoShop, PaintShop, etc. AW limits photo size to 400 x 400 pixels.
4) Use "Save As" to keep the resized image under another name, so your original larger photo is unaffected. Recommended: Saving the resized image with the AW names of those in the photo, so anyone who sees it and saves it without renaming it will know who those people are.
5) Put the resized photo on an image-sharing site such as ImageShack, PhotoBucket, Flickr, etc. Usually these sites have a Browse, Select, or Choose option to let you scan image files in your computer. Click on the photo(s) you want hosted there, then click on their button labeled Host It or Upload.
6) Now the resized image is stored at the hosting site. Click on the Share It or similar option for that image. That will take you to the image page with a bunch of code on it for sharing it in different ways. Select the code on the line that reads "Direct link to image" and copy it to your clipboard using CTRL-C.
7) In your AW message, type this:
. Replace "PASTE THE CODE HERE" with the code you copied in the last step using CTRL-V, as in: Voila, you're done!

But wait, you ask, what if I don't know how to resize my image, or don't have such a program?

1) Take a digital photograph.
2) Put the photograph on your computer, ideally with a meaningful name, so you can find it again.
3) Put the full-sized photo on an image-sharing site such as ImageShack, PhotoBucket, Flickr, etc. Usually these sites have a Browse, Select, or Choose option to let you scan image files in your computer. Click on the photo(s) you want hosted there, then click on their button labeled Host It or Upload.
4) Now the full-sized image is stored at the hosting site. Click on the Share It or similar option for that image. That will take you to the image page with a bunch of code on it for sharing it in different ways. Select the code on the line that reads "Thumbnail for forums (1)" and copy it to your clipboard using CTRL-C.
5) In your AW message, type this:
. Replace "PASTE THE CODE HERE" with the code you copied in the last step using CTRL-V. A thumbnail-sized version of the image will be posted in the AW forum, and anyone who clicks on it will be able to view it full-sized.

Maryn

Reactions: Benny Molto

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
You probably know your own company and the way it works ... but I have seen people lose jobs for pictures they post on places such as face book ... always think that your boss or HR department might take a peek before you post anything.

Thanks for the help on resizing etc. It is very useful us over 60 members :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth--if a picture isn't suitable for work, are we sure it's suitable for AW? Remember, we welcome 13-year-olds here. So think hard about whether you need to post such a picture here at all, okay? (Yes, I was an overprotective mother. Why do you ask?)

Porter, I'm glad to help. If I hadn't had kids at just the right moment, I wouldn't know how to do one damned thing on a computer, you know?

Maryn, who will now share thumbnails of those kids (Ssh, don't tell them!)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This is an exactly 400 X 400 pixel square (it is a .gif file, 630 bytes):

400X400pixels.gif

This is the maximum size permitted for images on Absolute Write. As you can see, there is a reasonable amount of room for most images.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
This is an exactly 400 X 400 pixel square (it is a .gif file, 630 bytes):

400X400pixels.gif

This is the maximum size permitted for images on Absolute Write. As you can see, there is a reasonable amount of room for most images.
It's pretty too. I may wind up using that for cray's next avatar. :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Haggis, your avatar looks like he's been into the bath salts again...

Benny Molto

Banned
Reaction score
This one-time tech writer thinks your instructions here are the bomb!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why, thank you! I doubt all the links work any more, but the explainy part still works.

Please be aware, Benny, that in your new-guy enthusiasm you seem to be replying to threads that are very old, like this one approaching a full decade. We call it "necroing" the thread because you're bringing it back to life.

In general, it's not a great idea unless you have something fresh to add. Often it makes more sense to start a new thread that references and links to the old thread in its first post.

No harm done, just pay attention to the dates as you respond.

Maryn, all helpish