How strict are you when reading guidelines?

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't send a story that clearly wasn't right in terms of formatting, word count, or genre, but how strict are you about screening your work according to guidelines stating preferences (rather than absolute rules)?

I wrote a short story for Kazka Press's holiday anthology, only to belatedly notice this: "Remember: these stories don’t need to be about the holiday. They just need to be set against a holiday. We’re much more interested in an engaging story that occurs on Thanksgiving or Chinese New Year rather than a story about those holidays."

My story features Saint Nick. It's not even necessarily taking place during the holidays. Should I disqualify it myself, or send it in and see what they say? I've been reading on these boards about "self-rejecting" as a bad thing, and I'm trying not to do it as much as I want to (avoiding rejection is a pretty strong urge!), but I'd rather not be disrespectful of their time or look like an idiot. Thoughts?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds to me like one they would not reject out of hand. What they're trying to get is good stories which may also evoke the feel of a particular holiday. Saint Nick is going to do that whether the story's set at Christmas or Fourth of July.

Maryn, who's submit it

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I try to respect the guidelines, but respect myself at the same time. one magazine (no longer around, sadly, Necrotic Tissue) - for some reason I knew my story was a fit for them, even though it violated almost every single 'no' on their page. 1st person, killed children, really graphic, etc. - but it was all essential to the story. The check cleared :)

So I would say, don't worry - if the story and writing are strong, they shouldn't dismiss it to dismiss it.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
If it's a publication I've written for before, I might play a little bit looser with the guidelines since the editor likely knows I know the market. If it's a first time submission though, I follow all guidelines, even the non-required ones.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt about the guidelines, query. You'll be surprised how often the editors will be willing to consider a story that's slightly outside of their posted word count or other restrictions, as long as your request is polite and not entirely outlandish. (i.e. don't ask a humor market that wants stories up to 4000 words if you can submit a 6k horror story).

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I follow rules in the guidelines. I consider suggestions, but I don't follow them like rules, because they're not intended to be rules.

The posted example has a rule element - it must be related to the holidays. It also has a suggestion element - they prefer stories with the holiday as a backdrop. They could have set it as a firm rule if they'd wanted it to be, but they chose not to. Don't turn it into a rule when they didn't state it as a rule.

In other words, submit it and see what they say. You may not have nailed all of the suggestions, but it's clearly holiday related so it follows the rules. You're not wasting their time.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, guys!