Status
Not open for further replies.

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
I read an article recently where a woman who didn't want to be buried was propped up in front of her TV when she died and the A/C allowed her body to slowly mummify (they found it when the power went out and she started to smell).

This was over a period of 2 1/2 years, but how long would it take for a body to be mummified using the A/C? Would 7 months be enough time?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It only took a few minutes after the words "I do" for this to happen to my wife...

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
I heard that story on the radio a few days ago. That is so odd. You would think that she would smell - even with the a/c unit aimed at her. Can you imagine how high the electricity bill might have been? And she was only discovered after another relative got suspicious when they wouldn't let him see her and he left and returned with police. (at least that's what they said on the radio story)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna know the name of her electric company.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My kids were fascinated with mummification at one time and I learned more about it than I really cared to know.

A whole lot--maybe nearly all?--of the success depends on extremely dry conditions, with humidity lower than 10-15%. Egypt, yes. Tucson, sure. Chicago, London, New York, Berlin, even with a super-duper AC system, unlikely.

Did the article say if the woman's body was prepared in any way for its mummification? The Egyptians removed the soft organs most likely to rot, including the brain and eyes, and did pre-mummification rituals involving salt, sand, and compounds which apparently remain unknown.

I was unable to provide our curious kid with a corpse of any mammal (I didn't try very hard!), but the turkey neck I donated one Thanksgiving didn't mummify, just rotted. However, we still have the gizzard and giblets. From 1998, I think, although it might've been earlier.

Maryn, who saw mummies in Boston last weekend

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
Status
Not open for further replies.