Your favorite Southerners?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite from LA is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Woops, they're not even from Alabama, they're from Florida!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite from LA is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Woops, they're not even from Alabama, they're from Florida!

Non-Miami Florida is definitely The South.

If you visit you don't actually have to eat okra and grits unless you stop at Cracker Barrel (they like serving grits to tourists--it makes the visitors feel like they've had a true southern experience).

Aw, shucks. I had a girlfriend from Tennessee who made something she call "the fist of God": grits with cheese and jalapenos, baked with sunnyside eggs and hot sauce on top ... damn.

Now, I would agree with anyone who claimed that sweet-served grits with your maple syrups or your fruit this-n-thats was horse-twaddle. That being said, the fist of God after a night of partying was a thing of beauty.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If you visit you don't actually have to eat okra and grits unless you stop at Cracker Barrel (they like serving grits to tourists--it makes the visitors feel like they've had a true southern experience).

Do have the pork barbecue though (religion permitting).
Waffle House has grits 24/7 too, as I recall, and theirs don't suck either. Their country ham is pretty good as well.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Their country ham is pretty good as well.

If you like real country-style stuff (ham, bacon, sausage), there is a place near here named Rice's Country Hams that will ship anywhere in the US. It's a little pricey to ship meats, of course, but the total costs is not unreasonable. They are only open during the fall and winter.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If you like real country-style stuff (ham, bacon, sausage), there is a place near here named Rice's Country Hams that will ship anywhere in the US. It's a little pricey to ship meats, of course, but the total costs is not unreasonable. They are only open during the fall and winter.
Ann Arbor is not known for its country ham. I'll be checking that place out.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Make up some red-eye gravy from cooking the country-style ham, and pour it over grits for a meal. Yum!!

Red-eye gravy is made with coffee. It's wonderful! But very salty. Like the ham.