Writers - Engage the World

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Just a reminder. I don't want this to be about ranting. I've been ranting too much lately--trying to figure out where the line is between allowing the world to walk over you and walking over all the world. I haz failz.

Anyway...

If you are a writer, YES--it is very important to engage your reader. To talk about that, you can get yourself out of Office Party and find the next train to NOVELS, or ROUNDTABLE or any of the critiquing forums.

I wanted to talk about ENGAGING THE WORLD. This is ALSO something that writers should do.

What brings this to my attention? I've received a great many GOODREADS friend requests lately where the sender has 1000+ friends and only ONE BOOK on their shelf (THEIR OWN).

And--I've come across a bazillion twitter accounts who follow me looking for a follow back---if I don't do so by, oh, say three days...they are GONZO. They don't say a single word in those 3 days. Because they are not looking for communication. They are looking for two things---a follow back and for me to race to their amazon page and buy up their book. How do I know the second part---because 100% of their tweets are advertising their book.

Social media is not about throwing your book into people's faces. Really, it isn't. I am fine with marketing and promotion. Really, I am. If you are on my facebook/my blog/my twitter/my pinterest/my tumblr...you will see that I actually do spotlight my work. But NOT ALL THE TIME.

This world is a place you will get to visit once (maybe--nobody knows for sure). You should ENGAGE THE WORLD. Yes...engage the reader. By all means, write beautiful words that will sweep readers off their feet.

BUT ALSO

say hi. talk to readers. talk to other writers. ENGAGE. Enjoy this life and the people who are in and out of it...both online and in the meatspace. Don't miss out on opportunities to have discussion...to connect...to touch.

This was a bit of a PSA. Also, just a reminder to have fun no matter what you're doing. Don't just be an attention seeking drone. Smile and Wave.

That is all...

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
And--I've come across a bazillion twitter accounts who follow me looking for a follow back---if I don't do so by, oh, say three days...they are GONZO.

To be fair, I was going to give you six days...