September 2012 Flash Fiction Challenge

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the September Flash Fortnight!

The September Flash Fortnight will run from Friday 14th September (Day 1) to Thursday 27th September (Day 14). Each morning during the challenge, I'll update this post with a new prompt for the day, so please check back if you find them useful! All of the challenge prompts will remain permanently available to you, so if you'd like to use any of them outside of the Fortnight, please feel free to do so.

*​

Prompts

Day 14: A Day Late
Day 13: The Other Girl
Day 12: The First Step
Day 11: Fish And Chips
Day 10: Faster Than Light
Day 9 : A Walk Into Darkness
Day 8 : Nothing Works
Day 7 : The Cold Wind Snatched at His Cloak
Day 6 : You Cannot Be Serious
Day 5 : Shooting Star
Day 4 : Beneath
Day 3 : Unfinished
Day 2 : Fun and Games

Day 1 : Above and Beyond​

*​

Tips on using the prompts

Think of the prompt as a starting point. When you look at it, certain words, phrases or ideas might immediately come to your mind. Try writing these down. For each of these things, consider what words, phrases or ideas that they, in turn, inspire.

Keep going in this way. You could free associate on the thoughts you're getting, or ask yourself questions on each thing: What is it about this that I'm drawn to? What would happen if I followed this train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Try not to censor yourself, or second-guess your imagination. In the end, the idea you end up with might be completely unrelated to the prompt - and that's completely fine!

Good luck!

Last edited:

Rattigan

An INFP with the moon in Aries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidlrattigan.com
Think I'll give this a go, too. I'm a nonfiction writer dying to branch out into fiction, but I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. This might just give me the nudge I need.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I just joined- am I able to post my flash fiction writing for you and does it matter the length?
Welcome, Nicole. You are able to post your flash fiction here, just follow the guidelines above about where to post it. The 50 post minimum rule for posting work is waived for these challenges. Any problems let me know.

Bit more details about the Challenge is here in this post.
Think I'll give this a go, too. I'm a nonfiction writer dying to branch out into fiction, but I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment. This might just give me the nudge I need.
Welcome to you, too, Rattigan. Glad you've decided to take part. It's a challenge, but a great challenge. May the prompts take you into interesting and fun stories.

Good luck to you both. :)