AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: September 2012 Flash Fiction Challenge

Threaded View

Fearsome Dragon Mod AW Moderator jvc's Avatar

September 2012 Flash Fiction Challenge

Welcome to the September Flash Fortnight!

The September Flash Fortnight will run from Friday 14th September (Day 1) to Thursday 27th September (Day 14). Each morning during the challenge, I'll update this post with a new prompt for the day, so please check back if you find them useful! All of the challenge prompts will remain permanently available to you, so if you'd like to use any of them outside of the Fortnight, please feel free to do so.

Prompts

Day 14: A Day Late
    Day 13: The Other Girl
    Day 12: The First Step
    Day 11: Fish And Chips
    Day 10: Faster Than Light
    Day 9 : A Walk Into Darkness
    Day 8 : Nothing Works
    Day 7 : The Cold Wind Snatched at His Cloak
    Day 6 : You Cannot Be Serious
    Day 5 : Shooting Star
    Day 4 : Beneath
    Day 3 : Unfinished
    Day 2 : Fun and Games

Day 1 : Above and Beyond

Tips on using the prompts

Think of the prompt as a starting point. When you look at it, certain words, phrases or ideas might immediately come to your mind. Try writing these down. For each of these things, consider what words, phrases or ideas that they, in turn, inspire.

Keep going in this way. You could free associate on the thoughts you're getting, or ask yourself questions on each thing: What is it about this that I'm drawn to? What would happen if I followed this train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Try not to censor yourself, or second-guess your imagination. In the end, the idea you end up with might be completely unrelated to the prompt - and that's completely fine!

Good luck!
    Last edited by jvc; 09-29-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: added new prompt
    Jed.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts - Lots of Fun Facts and Humorous History posts. Parenting: Facts And Advice On Temper Tantrums.