• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

beta reader needed for an unconventional love story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I'm guessing this would fall more into the category of literary fiction/women's fiction rather than genre romance.

At this point I'm not looking to have the entire thing beta-read, just the first few chapters. Any kind of critique--a line-by-line if you're up for it, or just general impressions.

The novel is called ALVIE FITZ. You can read the first scene in Literary SYW. That will probably give you some idea of whether this type of story would be something you'd want to read. PM me if you're interested. I'm willing to swap. The genres I feel most comfortable with are literary/mainstream/romance/fantasy/science fiction.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Last edited:

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Hey Otter. I'd be willing to beta read your first few chapters (and if I get engrossed, the whole thing.) send me a message - I'd love to have it before the weekend, since this is a kinda free weekend for me. Lacy.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Hi all,

I've gotten a lot of great help from beta readers and gone through multiple rounds of revision on this story. At this point I can't offer to do a swap (am in the midst of several others right now) but I'm always looking for more feedback. Below is a link to the first scene, which should give you an idea of whether this is the type of thing you'd like to read.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253879

Also, here's a query/summary:

Alvie Fitz can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics. She finds rabbits easier to relate to than humans. And her landlady puts her letters in a file marked CRAZY.

When Alvie decides to lose her virginity at age twenty-three, she’s not looking for romance. She just wants to prove to herself that she can connect with another person, even if it’s strictly physical. Until now, she's only talked to Stanley Finkel online, but he's the closest thing to a friend she has, so she gives him a blunt proposition: one night in a hotel, and only one. But Stanley balks at the last minute and refuses to take off his clothes until he’s had a chance to court her. Flowers? Homemade pancakes? It’s absurd. It’s addictive.

It’s frightening.

She's fine on her own. At least, that’s what she tells herself. It’s easier than opening up. Easier than admitting that she spent her adolescence in an institution, choking down pills. Or that, when she was eleven, Mama drowned herself and tried to take Alvie with her.

When she realizes she’s falling in love with Stanley, she panics and cuts off contact, but it’s too late. She’s hooked. Maybe if she forsakes her Rubik’s Cube for the warmth of another hand in hers, she can finally start to heal—or maybe her fragile sanity will collapse and she’ll self-destruct like a dying sun. But one thing is clear. She can’t go back to her safe, empty hermit’s life, and she doesn’t want to.

Last edited:

lindyhop

Registered
Reaction score
Website
setterby.weebly.com
Hi Otter,
Are you still looking for a beta? I love your query and sample chapter. I could use some help with my somewhat tongue-in-cheek gothic romance (which might itself be women's fic?). PM me if you are interested. I'd be happy to provide a query, synopsis, or sample chapter.
Cheers,
London

Status
Not open for further replies.