Writer-people! Is there any way to stay in New York on the cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
(resolved, post #34) I have a wonderful (and flexible) opportunity to go to New York and meet my editorial and promotional team. It could be a wonderful thing for my understanding of how all this works and maybe even a boost for the launch efforts.

The trouble is money. I can get to New York, but I don't know how I can manage $300 a night for a hotel. Any suggestions? Maybe something out of the city with quick access?

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are some hotels with reasonable rates, but I guess it depends where you want to be and the degree of crappiness you're willing to put up with... If you're feeling really adventurous, you could try couchsurfing...:D There's also the option of doing a hostel search, rather than a hotel search (try hostelworld.com, maybe). Again, all this depends on a probably significant compromise of things like location, amenities, possibly privacy...but. Yanno. :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lol! I'm definitely too old for couchsurfing. I'm checking things out, but my only requirements are that it's clean and safe. I dunno, it's exhausting.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried looking on hotels.com? I've used the site several times to find cheap, but nice places to stay.

Now I've never been to New York, but I checked the site and I found a place for $229 a night. (I checked for hotels in the New York city area.)

I hope this helps, and good luck. :)

Deleted member 42

I'd look at Brooklyn hotels, like the Sleep Inn and Comfort Inn, and then taking the subway in to town.

it's still c. 130.00 a night.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried looking on hotels.com? I've used the site several times to find cheap, but nice places to stay.

Now I've never been to New York, but I checked the site and I found a place for $229 a night. (I checked for hotels in the New York city area.)

I hope this helps, and good luck. :)

There are places cheaper than that on the same site--if you use the little 'price limit' bar on the left sidebar, it will show you only hotels under x amount of dollars. The ones I saw seemed to be in, say, New Jersey, or around JFK...:D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'd look at Brooklyn hotels, like the Sleep Inn and Comfort Inn, and then taking the subway in to town.

it's still c. 130.00 a night.
I've only ever been to NYC twice - for one day each. Once was a funeral, the other a zip in and out business meeting. I know nuthin' from nuthin' about New York. I do cities just fine. I grew up in DC, so I can usually find my way around a subway. Thanks for this!

Deleted member 42

I've only ever been to NYC twice - for one day each. Once was a funeral, the other a zip in and out business meeting. I know nuthin' from nuthin' about New York. I do cities just fine. I grew up in DC, so I can usually find my way around a subway. Thanks for this!

If I can find my way around, and get help from kind and knowledgeable people in NYC, anyone can.

Plus, the subway is color coded. How cool is that!

Deleted member 42

There is a Howard Johnson's out on Long Island that doesn't look too bad. I think. I dunno.

I've stayed in Newark, and taken the train in and out to Grand Central. It's a couple hours I think, and there are automated ticket machines that take cash or credit cards. Some take debit cards, but not all debit cards work.

Mostly I was careful to leave early, and not travel at night.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
There are places cheaper than that on the same site--if you use the little 'price limit' bar on the left sidebar, it will show you only hotels under x amount of dollars. The ones I saw seemed to be in, say, New Jersey, or around JFK...:D

I know. I found one for under $100 in the Bronx. :D

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I stayed at Hotel 31 in March for 4 nights. Great location. I paid about $120/night. Shared bathroom - showers weren't the greatest, but they worked. It looks like the rates vary a lot depending on the time of year (and I expect that is true of other hotels as well). September is expensive but January is only $79.

Last edited:

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Hostels aren't just for young people. They're geared towards students and backpackers, but they don't have an age limit. When I was in college I spent seven days in NYC with a bunch of international students in a mid-Manhattan hostel and it cost twenty-something dollars a night (8-bed mixed-gender dorm). If that's too rustic, they usually have private rooms, too, for less than $100.

DarthPanda

All hopped up on goofballs.
Registered
Reaction score
I second the hostel suggestion.

http://www.whitehousehotelofny.com/

I usually stay there when I visit NYC solo. There is no cutoff age. It's dirt cheap (around $30-40, I think, depending on the season) and it's pretty clean. IT IS NOT THE RITZ. The rooms are literally the size of a closet. Literally. They aren't even really rooms... they're more like cubicles. The bathrooms are dorm-style--private showers and stall-type toilets like in public restrooms. Plenty of accurate pics on the website. There are always a lot of foreign twenty- and thirty-somethings running around. A few older folks, too. It's always an odd mix. But everybody is nice and respectful and pretty much keep to themselves. And it's right in the middle of the city.

I've stayed there sooo many times and have never had problems... but hostels aren't for everybody, and it can be a bit shocking if you're used to staying in fluffier rooms. Still, under 40 bucks a night in Manhattan. I think you can find even cheaper dorm-style bunkbed hostels, but I like the private room.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You might try Craigslist under New York/ Manhattan /vacation rentals.

Even if you're only staying a few days you might be able to find something, and definitely cheaper than hotels.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ah, sorry. I've met people who didn't know that.
No need to apologize, I think I wasn't very funny. An allergy attack has made me terribly stupid.

I can't see me getting ready for this important meeting in a communal bathroom, though. That's sounds horribly snobby and I'm far from a silver-spooner, but I'll be too nervous and excited for anything that adventurous.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure you read the reviews. I have a friend with a great (terrible) story about going to a super cheap hotel in New York that turned out to be a haven for drug dealers and tended to rent rooms by the hour. Granted, he had a great story to tell afterwards. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.