query after rejection

aokva

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about when to query the same agent or publisher with a new and different PB manuscript after you've received a rejection for a previous PB manuscript? Is there a set time to wait?

Does it matter if the rejections are personalized versus a form rejection (ie Dear Author)?

In addition, is it better to query for multiple manuscripts if you have them? Or is sticking to just one best?

Thanks.

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
I think it's commonly suggested that you wait 6 months before querying another project to the same agent. I suppose they get so many that you could cut it down to 3 months, but I don't think there's an established rule. I think it's just that you don't want to give agents the impression that you're nagging or bombarding them.

If you got personalized rejections that said showed interest in your future projects, then I'd say send to them ASAP. If the personalizations mentioned specific problems in your ms, I'd suggest taking some time to make sure the other project doesn't have the same problems.

For your last question, I've seen definite answers to that on a bunch of agent blogs--query one project at a time. If you have a series, query the first book as a standalone with series potential, but always query one ms at a time.

Good luck!

aokva

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the response. :)

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
I worry about sending the next project too quickly in case they think I have rushed it or it's not polished. Or that I am sitting on a stack of rejected manuscripts that have been doing the rounds forever. Seems a bit sad looking to me, but then I am a bit paranoid!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Aokva,

There are a few agents who specifically request more than one picture book manuscript at a time, so always check the guidelines.

I agree with the idea of waiting before sending the next manuscript, but I do think it matters what kind of rejection you received. If you received a form rejection, wait long enough for the agent to believe you've grown as an author. Otherwise, even if the second manuscript is specatacular, they may wonder why you had sent the first that clearly wasn't up to your ability level.

You can mention personal rejections in the query for the second manuscript thanking the agent for taking the time to write the encouraging note and stating that you hope this new manuscript will better fit their needs, but give a reason for it being closer to what they want. The reason can be based on the comments in your rejection or recent interviews by the agent. If you have that info, you may not need to wait as long between subs.