creating an e-book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

words

Registered
Reaction score
In the past, I have written e-books for clients who hired other people to actually turn the document into a book. Lately it seems more potential clients want me to deliver the full package. I tend to be pretty low-tech so don't know how to get started doing this.

What program(s) do I need? It is a relatively straightforward process or does it require some measure of graphics/layout/design talent?

I'm a complete novice in this area so would appreciate any advice.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Most writers use Word, using correct formatting for Kindle, Pubit, etc. (for example, for Kindle, using Styles instead of the Enter key for paragraphs, page inserts at the ends of chapters, Space After and Space before for blank spaces, etc.). Do a search to look for formatting guides and study the requirements for each e-book publisher.

Then you need to upload this document through a program like Mobipocket Creator, Calibre, etc. to create a publishable file, check it in a previewer, correct the errors, and finally publish the book.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it's a process that's fairly easily learned.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
It can be as easy as simply saving a word file as html and running it through Calibre to convert it to a mobi (kindle) or epub (everyone else).

It can also be a nightmare of formatting and contradictory styles and broken links. It all depends on how complex the book is.

A simple short story is dead easy. Something with a table of contents can be a bit more difficult (you place bookmarks at the headings, then create a TOC and link them--or you rely on the converter program to do this)

A good introduction to the issues would be the Smashwords Style Guide. It's oriented towards Smashwords and it's notorious "meatgrinder," but the lessons about word stylesheets and tables of contents and formatting dos and don'ts are applicable to any ebook. Just substitute calibre or mobi creator or whatever for running it through the meatgrinder.

If you understand word stylesheets and how html works, you will be at a big advantage.

Rhymes with Clue

Trying to be mysterious
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about this, too.

I am an editor, I work part-time for one publisher and do freelance work for several others, mostly very small publishers (and nonfiction).

Lately they are wanting me to do ebook formats.

I've used Calibre and it's easy enough. Word file saved as HTML then converted via Calibre to whatever format (I've only done it to EPUB and MOBI). The results look as good as any ebook, they are searchable and the reader can change the font size. One of the books included links, and they worked. A lot of work to put them in there, but they converted perfectly.

But, I can't figure out how to add the digital copy protection. The publishers want it, they deserve it, but I don't know (a) how to put it on there, and (b) how to email it back to the publisher once I've done so, since that would be copying.

These publishers will be selling the books off their own websites, so I may just have to tell them the copy protection is their problem. But I like to deliver good customer service when possible. Where could I find out about this?

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But, I can't figure out how to add the digital copy protection.
You don't. The format is the same, DRM (Digital Rights Management) is added when the book is placed online by Amazon, etc. Amazon has a proprietary DRM service, many publishers will use Adobe's and there is one for PUB format as well (can't remember off hand, I hate DRM). Publishers need to set this up if they intend to use it.

When you upload on Kindle Direct, for example, there is a check box to enable DRM. There are many Adobe DRM partners to use for publication as well.

Jeff

Last edited:

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
But, I can't figure out how to add the digital copy protection. The publishers want it, they deserve it, but I don't know (a) how to put it on there, and (b) how to email it back to the publisher once I've done so, since that would be copying.

I'm sorry, but this just cracked me up.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I have a question about this, too.

I am an editor, I work part-time for one publisher and do freelance work for several others, mostly very small publishers (and nonfiction).

Lately they are wanting me to do ebook formats.

I've used Calibre and it's easy enough. Word file saved as HTML then converted via Calibre to whatever format (I've only done it to EPUB and MOBI). The results look as good as any ebook, they are searchable and the reader can change the font size. One of the books included links, and they worked. A lot of work to put them in there, but they converted perfectly.

These publishers will be selling the books off their own websites, so I may just have to tell them the copy protection is their problem. But I like to deliver good customer service when possible. Where could I find out about this?

I would recommend both to you and to the publisher that you don't apply any kind of digital rights management. It doesn't work in the slightest and is a potential pain in the neck for legitimate customers.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend both to you and to the publisher that you don't apply any kind of digital rights management. It doesn't work in the slightest and is a potential pain in the neck for legitimate customers.

yep.

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
Most writers use Word, using correct formatting for Kindle, Pubit, etc. (for example, for Kindle, using Styles instead of the Enter key for paragraphs, page inserts at the ends of chapters, Space After and Space before for blank spaces, etc.). Do a search to look for formatting guides and study the requirements for each e-book publisher.

Then you need to upload this document through a program like Mobipocket Creator, Calibre, etc. to create a publishable file, check it in a previewer, correct the errors, and finally publish the book.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it's a process that's fairly easily learned.

Using styles for paragraphs instead of the return key? How demanding a process is that to change everything? I've got a 60,000 word novel here I'm planning on converting for the first time, but I've written it as if I were sending it off to an agent. Will I spend days adjusting every paragraph? I'm very familiar with HTML though.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Using styles for paragraphs instead of the return key? How demanding a process is that to change everything? I've got a 60,000 word novel here I'm planning on converting for the first time, but I've written it as if I were sending it off to an agent. Will I spend days adjusting every paragraph? I'm very familiar with HTML though.

If you're comfortable with HTML, you may want to use Guido Henkel's method, available here:

http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/

He gives more background than you really need, and the process is more demanding than some of the ones mentioned in earlier posts, but by using HTML as your base you avoid almost all of the formatting issues that seem to plague some e-books.

I'm not a technical whiz, and I worked through his process with no errors in any of the final versions, although there were several moments of frustration along the way...

Skyler West

Registered
Reaction score
If you're comfortable with HTML, you may want to use Guido Henkel's method, available here:

http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/

He gives more background than you really need, and the process is more demanding than some of the ones mentioned in earlier posts, but by using HTML as your base you avoid almost all of the formatting issues that seem to plague some e-books.

I'm not a technical whiz, and I worked through his process with no errors in any of the final versions, although there were several moments of frustration along the way...

Thanks very much Captcha, I can easily follow all of that. Makes sense. Smashwords looks much the same.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
words, you need Word, or OpenOffice, period. Kindle, Smashwords, and PubIt turn doc documents into native formats. If you want to do PDFs outside of these three, download CutePDF for free. It "prints" a PDF file of your document. I used it for a CreateSpace book (formatted with a CS template and then printed to PDF).

I've never had any problems with a straight up Word doc file in Kindle, Smashwords, or PubIt.

(aside from my own stupid formatting issues, that is)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
words, you need Word, or OpenOffice, period. Kindle, Smashwords, and PubIt turn doc documents into native formats. If you want to do PDFs outside of these three, download CutePDF for free. It "prints" a PDF file of your document. I used it for a CreateSpace book (formatted with a CS template and then printed to PDF).

I've never had any problems with a straight up Word doc file in Kindle, Smashwords, or PubIt.

(aside from my own stupid formatting issues, that is)

How do you address special characters, if you're just using Word? Do you write html into the text?

I've seen a LOT of self-pubbed e-books that have trouble with special characters on different platforms. Something as simple as an apostrophe can come out wonky. I've attributed this to people using a simple text file rather than converting to html, but maybe there's a way?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

Tell the publishers that they're out of their minds. They may want it but no one deserves it.

DRM does not slow down the pirates for a second. What it does is inconvenience the legitimate customers by crippling the books that they've paid good money to own.

Not having DRM is a selling point.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Word handles special characters as an (ASCII?) insert. If I have any question I convert the document to rtf or just reopen it in OpenOffice. So far, I've had zero problems with special characters (of course, about the most complex I ever use in my stories is the circle-c copyright character, the occasional ellipsis, or a hyphen-stop).

Regarding HTML, I avoid it like the plague - and I can code it without WYSIWYG. It's ugly. It's sloppy. It's exceedingly difficult to get a book to look good in HTML. HTML was never designed to be a word processor or a manuscript formatting tool.

Oh, and as Uncle Jim has said before - DRM is a tool of the Devil. Tell your publishers to just forget about using it entirely. All it does is piss off their customers (and yours).

Status
Not open for further replies.