WriteOnCon online kidlit writers' conference

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, the ninjas are already lurking? Exciting. :)

I only have a WIP this year, but here's the query if anyone wants to take a look. I'll try to look at some of yours tomorrow; I think my brain has shut off for the night.

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm talking a look at everyone's stuff now. I've had a personally hellish day, so it's taken me forever to get to the con, but I'm hoping I'm not too late to be of use (at the very least, I can bump your stuff back to the first page, ha)!

EDIT: I should not have said "everyone's" stuff. I only managed a few of your works, but I do hope to get to the rest tomorrow!

Last edited:

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably not at a point where I should be posting stuff from my WIP, since it's still a mess, but this opportunity only comes once a year, so I figured I should go ahead and join in the fun.

I threw up my first 250

I'm also Sofia.E over there. I'm going to try to start going through everyone's tonight (even though it's almost 1am and my brain is in constant typo mode). Everyone's talent level is super impressive!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
It's entirely pitch events, and largely on Twitter (which I dumped a year ago because time-suck). That's ... Disappointing.

BlueBunny

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, me too! me too! :)

My Query.

I'm looking forward to reading what you've all posted! I'm gonna start critiquing again pretty soon!

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
It's entirely pitch events, and largely on Twitter (which I dumped a year ago because time-suck). That's ... Disappointing.
Just get a temp one....

I can't even participate because I go to school/intern.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, that's really disappointing. I was confused at first, I mean, where are all the interesting articles and vids?
Unfortunately, this means I won't be joining this year.

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Day one has arrived and the Ninjas are trolling. Excited I am *yodavoice*

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
The forum is NOT working at all. I guess too many people are on it at the same time.

I didn't know this whole con was just Twitter pitches. I was wondering if there would be a forum thread to post our finished queries.

I also don't understand how the pitch events work? How do you know if an agent wants to see more of your work? I assumed (foolishly perhaps) that an agent would PM us if interested. But do I have to comb through Twitter entire to find out if anyone is interested? I'm also not ON Twitter, do you have to have an account?

Last edited:

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
There are spots on the forum for your query, 1st 250 words and 1st 5 pages as long as the book is YA, MG or PB.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's really disappointing. I was confused at first, I mean, where are all the interesting articles and vids?
Unfortunately, this means I won't be joining this year.

Me too. I enjoy reading other people's pitches and stuff on the forums, etc., but I wish there were some classes or discussion sessions or something. Unless I'm missing them?

Good luck to all of you who have stuff up in the forums!

sofia.e

Registered
Reaction score
Added you too, Sofia. :D

Thanks for doing all this, Netz!

I'm trying to crit stuff but the forums are being such a pain. Grr.

CheG, from what I've seen, you don't need to be on twitter to participate in the twitter pitches because you submit your pitch directly to WriteOnCon and then they tweet it for you. That way, it's a blind contest. There's more info about it here: http://writeoncon.com/08/26/live-event-instructions/

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I'm disappointed by this year too. I sent in my pitch yesterday. Today, I looked at the agents listed and no one is accepting chapter books. That means my one submission was probably wasted.

I got a Twitter account last night just to do WriteOnCon. Don't know if I'll manage to post anything to their forums. I'll let you know if I do. Of course, I'll crit you too. I have no idea what I put in last year.

I wonder if one of the folks running it had some personal matters to handle that caused them to scale down this year. I hope not.

Last edited:

BBBurke

Along for the ride
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairbburke.com
While I do think the random nature of the twitter pitch thing is kinda disappointing, I still think the best part of the 'conference' is the forums. I've seen a ton of great stuff in there, gotten great feedback, and still hold out hope that a Ninja agent might stop by and share more gems. It's a little like an intense AW Share Your Work session :)

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah BBBurke, I'm having the same experience. :) I will admit, I've been kind of surprised at how little agent feedback there's been. Not sure what I was expecting, but thought they would generally comment, even if not particularly interested? Or is this them mostly just requesting pages and such? As a con newb I might not have understood the deal.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Just get a temp one....

I can't even participate because I go to school/intern.

Meh? The disappoint comes more from having "attended" previous WOCs that featured blogs and vlogs full of craft and publishing info. Plus being introduced to authors I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own.

Doesn't seem worth it to follow tweets on pitches that, by nature of the platform, can't really get into the meat of the agent/editors reasoning and advice. Especially when I've got nothing I particularly want to pitch. :shrug:

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I think I got to everyone, but let me know if I missed you and I'll head over. :)

I also posted a majorly revised query and would love thoughts if you've got a chance to take a gander.

New query

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I'd heard really good things about this event before but I'm feeling it's a bit anemic. Spent too much time in the forums and on twitter today--going back to my revisions tomorrow.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It feels like they did a lot more live chats before. I think this year they chose to focus a lot on pitching, which is great if you're in the process of querying.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I've never done this con before but it does seem to be entirely Twitter pitches. Which is fine if you are a genius at Twitter pitches AND IF (big 'if') your pitch is picked.

I too was hoping for more video blogs, and such.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In the forums, there's a lot of critting going on. Seriously, you post in a YA query thread, and if nobody else does in an hour, it's on page 2 of the forum. The pages crits seems to be less active, at least this morning.

But, yeah, I loved the live chats the first year.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand the point of twitter pitches. The agent doing them now keeps asking for more details. I'm not sure what can be learned from it unless your pitch is selected. I don't know - I'm not ready to pitch myself and wouldn't be able to get it into a tweet if I were.

The query critique forum moves too fast for me - I started trying to look for interesting ones, but got overwhelmed. It feels like being in a crowded room.

Still, I've had some feedback on my first ever query, so I figure the main value for me is as a dry-run for that, so I don't embarrass myself too badly when I get around to posting in QLH.:D