WriteOnCon online kidlit writers' conference

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
So glad to hear it was helpful. This was definitely a learning process, as it was the first time organizing for all of us. We've gotten lots of feedback and are hoping to make it even better next year!

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I had a lot of fun this year, WriteonCon is always a blast. I'm glad it came back.

Do we know which ninja was which agent, or were they never de-cloaked?

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
So glad to hear it! We left it up to the ninjas as to whether they revealed themselves. But we do encourage anybody who gets a request to ask the ninja agent who they are if they don't reveal it at that time.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
The Fundraising Campaign has now opened for 2018's WOC conference and details can be found here - http://writeoncon.org/the-fundraising-campaign-is-open/

The conference itself will take place on Friday 9th - Sunday 11th February 2018.

Anybody going to sign up now for the early-bird discount?

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score

borogove

Registered
Reaction score

Whitley

Registered
Reaction score
When do the fundraising perks become available for use? I bought a first ten pages perk and I'd like to know when we're expected to submit to them and how. I'll be a first time participant in the con.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
When do the fundraising perks become available for use? I bought a first ten pages perk and I'd like to know when we're expected to submit to them and how. I'll be a first time participant in the con.

You'll get an email letting you know when/how to submit for your critique. I purchased mine on November 2, then received my instructions on the 11th. I submitted a day later and got my 50-pager back within the week. Turnaround time depends on the critiquer's schedule.

Last edited:

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, nabbed a 5 page critique from an agent. My opening needs work and I don't know where to start, so this is perfect.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The forums have opened up again (same link as post #788).

They have a new subsection this year, which I thought was interesting and pretty cool - the 'Supers' area, where you can post your query or first 500 words for feedback from an industry professional (published writer or agent). :)

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
I can vouch for the awesomeness of the Supers board — I posted my first 500 words last night, and this morning I had feedback and a request for a full from an agent. Definitely wasn't expecting that, since I labeled my manuscript as WIP.

If you're polishing your opening or ready to query, this is a great place to post.

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, congrats, borogove! :snoopy:

I've had feedback from B3th R3vis on my query, which was pretty cool. Also, my elevator pitch has been selected for the live event tomorrow with N@tali3 L@k0sil and P@trici@ N3ls0n, so that's a bit nail-biting, lol (I'm about 23rd on the list, so I hope they have time to get to me).

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhh Netz, that's brilliant! I'm so excited for you!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why the site says it's a three day long conference. Can someone explain, thanks.

Also, glad to hear people have gotten responses.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
So excited to hear you're all having a great WriteOnCon. I signed up last year, but it's such a bad time of year for me to devote time to something like that I didn't sign up again.Good luck both of you!

Last edited:

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So excited to hear you're all having a great WriteOnCon. I signed up last year, but it's such a bad time of year for me to devote time to something like that I didn't sign up again.Good luck both of you!

Yeah, it's rather intense with all the blog posts, podcasts and live events scheduled over the three days - I don't think I've even got through a third of the stuff yet. (That's why I signed up to Extended Admission this year as I'm sure that trying to get through everything last year in the few days afterwards was what contributed to my five-week headache!)

Uhh, so it's over? I'm sorry for being a bit dense over this. I did try to find information on the web site without success.

Yes, it's over, but you might still be able to get access to the articles and podcasts if you register for Extended Admission (I'm not sure whether they'll still accept registrations at this point, but Extended Admission gives access up until March 10th).

N@tali3 and P@trici@ got to my elevator pitch in their session, and I'm chuffed that they thought my reimagining was a fresh take (especially after they'd been harder on a retelling of the same fairy tale earlier in the session).

Netz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The early-bird discounts and fundraising campaign have now opened for 2020's WOC conference.

You can purchase query/page/manuscript critiques or sensitivity reads/story consultations, etc, from agents/authors/editors. Here's the link to the fundraising campaign page -
www.writeoncon.org/support-writeoncon-2020

If you just want to purchase an admission ticket, then go to this link -
www.writeoncon.org/product/buy-admission-only

The conference itself will take place on Friday 21st - Sunday 23rd February 2020. I'm debating whether to get the full admission or the extended one. Anybody else planning to attend?