Not open for further replies.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
For years I've been strictly an acrylics on canvas painter but recently I've started to grow curious about other types of paint- mainly watercolor and oil.

But... *curls up in a ball in her comfort zone*

Let's face it; paint is expensive and I'm not a rich girl. I want to break out of my squishy, warm little comfort zone but the thought of shelling out money and failing due to my lack of technique is mostly what is stopping me. I love the depth oils are capable of and the daintiness of water colors... *sigh*

I think I'm going to try one or the other but just can't decide. Do any of you have suggestions of which one would be better to try as I step away from the acrylics for a while?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
My aunt works with Crayola washable watercolors. I'm serious and I've got her painting hanging up all around my apartment.

She uses everything, even the brush. Her technique is to rub the paint with just drops of water until it turns to a very thick paste, like toothpaste and then she paints.

I've used it too. If you practice enough, it turns out the same exact way.
I liked to do photorealism, with small objects on small canvases.

But, I like oil much more. It's far more easy to change.

Then again, I've been practicing with a drawing tablet and photoshop...

My $0.02

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did you do your avvie? I've been on the fence for a long time about getting a tablet so I can illustrate.

With school supplies being cheap right now I'll definitely have to pick up some of the Crayola watercolors. I didn't even think about it being back to school season until your post. :D

I love the depth of oil pants but another reason I'm hesitant is because of how long they take to dry. I'm a very impatient artist and when I get an inspiration tick I want it done NAO. But... they're so pretty...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Did you do your avvie? I've been on the fence for a long time about getting a tablet so I can illustrate.

No, not really.
I just picked one up to play around with. I got it from Monoprice. I got the 10X6.25 for $35 on sale, then I picked up an extra pen, some tips and overnight shipping to total $50.
I had my friend test it against his, $200 one and he says it's about the same.

It's fun, takes some time to get used to. I still miss the tactical feel.
I'm a really physical painter. I used to shave my arm to lay down paint on.
Then I would move around the canvas, scrape and detail with the brush up close. So, I miss that.

But to illustrate, it's great with some practice.

Oil paints don't mix well. So you can paint with the oil still wet. Watercolor, dries quick, but you can wet it extremely quickly and smudge it easily too.

Oil is also more expensive. I say: Just get watercolor. I've always found oil and acrylic fairly close to each other, so if you'd like a change, try watercolor.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
If you're used to acrylics, then oils might be a more natural choice for you. You can save money by buying paint and canvas online, and learning to stretch your own canvas (not difficult) or painting on other supports (such as Masonite or gessoed paper, for example--actually, almost anything can be used as a support for oil paints, as long as it's sized first). Buy the best paint you can afford, because in the long run, you will use less paint on a painting made with professional oils (which have more oil content and purer pigments) as opposed to one with student grade oils (which tend to short the oil and use a lot of fillers as opposed to pigment). Or use student-grade paints and hues for underpainting, then good paint for the top layer. You could also experiment first with a limited palette and then up your color collection from there (although you really don't need more than six or seven colors to do a successful painting).

As for drying time, this can be speeded up by the addition of thinners (like turpentine), alkyd mediums, or small amounts of earth colors added to the paint mixture (such as burnt umber).

You might want to investigate water-based oils as well. The drying time isn't substantially different, but if you're used to water-based paints...

That being said, you might enjoy the watercolor experience. Why not try it out by thinning your acrylics with a lot of water and treating them as watercolors?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
For years I've been strictly an acrylics on canvas painter but recently I've started to grow curious about other types of paint- mainly watercolor and oil.

But... *curls up in a ball in her comfort zone*

Let's face it; paint is expensive and I'm not a rich girl. I want to break out of my squishy, warm little comfort zone but the thought of shelling out money and failing due to my lack of technique is mostly what is stopping me. I love the depth oils are capable of and the daintiness of water colors... *sigh*

I think I'm going to try one or the other but just can't decide. Do any of you have suggestions of which one would be better to try as I step away from the acrylics for a while?

That's kind of a complicated question.

The secret truth is that every painting medium is unique, so much so that it's almost like learning an entirely different art to learn each one.

I've experimented with many of them, and there are certain ones I'm more fond of. But each in my experience has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I should say I'm also an amateur materials and safety wonk. I care about people not inadvertently harming themselves with potentially toxic materials and practices. I also care about archival quality, whether an artwork is going to last without fading or deteriorating much.

If you wish to experiment with new media, may I suggest trying a limited palette to start? Generally one can begin to understand a medium's handling with a small tube of titanium white, one of ultramarine blue, and one of burnt sienna (for watercolors leave out the white). With these colors one can mix a passable near-black and subtle greys, as well as brilliant blues and rich glazed red-browns. None of these colors are expensive or especially toxic.

I second brianjanuary's suggestion about getting good quality paints. Student-grade paints are hardly worth using.

As for the paints themselves:

Acrylics are versatile and straightforward to use. They dry quickly, are not particularly fussy, and clean up simply with water. They are based on a plastic emulsion which dries to a permanent, waterproof film. They generally have a consistent quality and are very popular. However, there have been some questions as to the longevity of the acrylic film, which may deteriorate over time.

Watercolors are deceptively simple. They are delicate in appearance, but extremely subtle and nuanced in their use. Because one is working on paper with transparent colors, there is no correcting errors. They tend to be fragile, since they're on paper, and need to be treated with care. Watercolors are valued less highly than oils and acrylics by many art dealers and buyers.

Oils are fairly complex, but they produce beautiful results. They require solvents, which need careful handling because of their toxicity. Oil paints take longer to dry than acrylics, which allows for easier blending effects. They are the classical European paint, and have a lot of history and understanding of how they age.

The oil in oil paint gives it a little flexibility, so it can be used on canvas and other non-rigid surfaces, but it embrittles over time. It also yellows and gets more translucent. Cracks can form.

There are other paints, like gouache (a kind of watercolor, but more opaque), alkyds (a kind of artificial oil paint), caseine (a fun one, made from milk, it was the student's practice paint before acrylics), egg tempera (my personal favorite, made from scratch with egg yolk and pigments), and a host of even more obscure ones, but they are a little hard to come by and lack a lot of the community support structure that acrylics, oils, and watercolor have.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hardly an artist, but because of my inability, I also don't want to spend a lot just to try something. Whenever I go to the art/craft store I just check their clearance section and see if there's anything that I fancy for just a few dollars.

Good luck trying something new, Abby!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've been an acrylics gal for nearly 20 years: I love the drying speed, the variety of brands, and the way I can get it to mimic nearly any other art medium. That said, I also have a set of gouache I use for sketches and my bookbinding projects.

I tried oil in college - it was fine, but there are things I don't love about oil. I don't have room in my house to build drying racks for the six months I'd need before I could varnish the art, and I don't really like the smell. I worked for 10 years in commercial arts, and another 3 in an art supply store. I've seen many tragic hobbyist errors with oil. Oil driers can cut the time, but not by much. Water-based oils are slightly faster, but the best brands are as expensive as regular oil paints. The only time I'd want to use oils is on a copper ground, to reproduce the effects of a magnificent Renaissance medium. (But that's because I'm nuts.)

But everyone's mileage varies. When you try something new, you might find the art love of your life!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I've been an acrylics gal for nearly 20 years: I love the drying speed, the variety of brands, and the way I can get it to mimic nearly any other art medium. That said, I also have a set of gouache I use for sketches and my bookbinding projects.

I tried oil in college - it was fine, but there are things I don't love about oil. I don't have room in my house to build drying racks for the six months I'd need before I could varnish the art, and I don't really like the smell. I worked for 10 years in commercial arts, and another 3 in an art supply store. I've seen many tragic hobbyist errors with oil. Oil driers can cut the time, but not by much. Water-based oils are slightly faster, but the best brands are as expensive as regular oil paints. The only time I'd want to use oils is on a copper ground, to reproduce the effects of a magnificent Renaissance medium. (But that's because I'm nuts.)

But everyone's mileage varies. When you try something new, you might find the art love of your life!

I actually primed some copper plates once and did some oil painting on them. Unfortunately, I realized I couldn't get the enameled effect I wanted because there was no way in heck I was going to sandpaper a white lead ground to get a smooth enough surface.

Oil paint has numerous pitfalls, and requires much more awareness of one's materials than acrylic paint does. You can't treat it in the same way.

I rather like the smell of linseed oil, myself. But I can see how it could cause problems.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
I like the smell of linseed oil, too. Alkyds and other siccatives can greatly speed up drying times, as can small amount of earth colors added to the paint, solvents, paints made with refined linseed oil, and applying the paint in thin layers. If you paint thinly, you don't need to wait six months to apply varnish, especially if you use modern varnishes like Gamvar, which is permeable enough to allow the paint film to continue curing. I believe you can apply Gamvar to a thick impasto when it's dry to the touch.

Water-based oils are not meant to dry faster--they are simply traditional oils whose molecules have been modified to be water miscible.

There are also new acrylics available which have a longer open time (like oil paint) and there are mediums as well to extend drying time.

Tezzirax

Registered
Reaction score
I have never been able to handle the smell of oils or the feel of it on my fingers. I grew up with my mother painting oils 12+ hours a day to make ends meet, so I think the smell did a number on me. She now paints in watercolors which are spectacular.

I stuck with pencil and inks and became an early adopter of digital media, though my mother has been wonderful at teaching me many things about painting.

Some of her present works can be viewed here:
http://www.cardinscrossing.com/Deanne/art.htm

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I'm strictly watercolour, not very good, mind, but I like the way they blend so well. I don't paint that much, so I still use the inexpensive 12-colour palette my parents bought for me in primary school. The blue and black are nearly run out but they'll serve me for a while yet. (I think I'll nick my sister's palette when the time comes, she's more into ink-work anyway.)

Each time I go to the art store (oh temptation!) I look at acrylics and canvas and wonder whether it'd be something for me. But it'd be a big investment to have enough to start, and as I don't paint that often anymore, I wonder whether it's worth it. But tempting, oh, ever so tempting.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If you ever want to try out digital art, a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet is a nice, reasonably cheap and versatile tablet. But digital art is a completely different medium to traditional art, and the learning curve (especially the lack of real, solid 'feedback' from the tablet pen) can be a royal pain.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I have always found gouache to be wonderful, and very, very useful if you want to play around with layers, and painting (I think the term is still correct) with colored inks is a neat way to augment the look, but the inks are expensive if you are starting out - £2.80 for a small bottle, and you need a bunch of them to get good results. I'm more prone to suggesting that instead of jumping media completely, you try and augment the things you are currently doing. Draw over the top of the paintings with charcoals or pastels, or use other tricks. :)

Yeah, I know there will be people ready to hit me with a stick for promoting mixed media yet again, but whatever works...

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Alessandra, you can get the same effect on copper by scrubbing a thin zinc white ground over the copper. It's translucent, so the copper shines through, but the zinc gives the surface some tooth. I tried it for a Gamblin B&W contest one time, after seeing the 'Copper as Canvas' exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum.

And you can actually get the *same* effect with acrylics on copper: zinc white base, paint with translucent or transparent colors, then varnish with a clear UV-barrier varnish. It can be as luminous as enamel.

I also use a zinc base or Liquitex Clear Gesso (which has a lot of tooth) for my silverpoint drawings on wood. Here's a piece done on a 4"x6" wood panel divided into colored grounds, then turned pastel with a zinc white overlay. Clear Gesso on top of that gave plenty of adhesion for the silverpoint.

silverpointfountain.jpg

This reminds me, I need to do more silverpoint.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Awesome advice and suggestions here. :D

I bought a water color kit (basically a bunch of tubes about the size of my thumb in 20 shades) and some special water color paper. The kit was $25.00 and the paper was another $10.00, so it's not AWFUL... (I'm justifying it by saying that's what some friends spend on a night out).

BW, I'll have to look into the gouache, that sounds really interesting. :D

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure you stretch the WC paper first or you'll have buckling. Gouache is a different animal--I've painted a lot with it, but I'm not crazy about the surface quality of the paint, plus if you build up a lot of layers, the bottom layers can lift with added wet applications and multiple layers are prone to cracking. If you want to experiment with it without buying a number of colors, mix your transparent watercolors with varying degrees of opaque white--it's not quite the same, but close enough.

As above, your experience with watercolors will vary depending on the quality of your paints.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
I'm too cheap. Photoshop brushes and the brush/mixer brush tool for me.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Photoshop is good, and it has certain benefits, but it isn't perfect for many things - the way it mixes certain colors is... strange.

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
I think part of that would depend on which color mode you've set. I have to experiment with it more as I've only done a few paintings in Photoshop. I used to use Painter X, but I have no idea where that is since I moved/got married.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of that would depend on which color mode you've set.

Yeah. There as so many options that setting it up just right takes longer than it does for me to simply grab paints and do what I want the old fashioned way.

And Corel... Damn, that is beyond infuriating - we'll probably have a digital art thread soon enough where we can expound on all the failures which that came with.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I actually find Painter easier to use for my purposes than Photoshop, but then I'm doing from-scratch artwork, not photo manipulation.

There is a dearth of books and forums on Painter, though. One of my faves is the PAINTER WOW! BOOK, third edition. Filled with neat tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.