Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I work on it everyday.

I've lived my life in two halves. And I'm not proud of the first half. I even made a list of the people I had wronged and sought them out.

But I'm not a fool. I think there are abusers who take advantage of people by simply pointing an accusing finger. It appears that merely throwing buzzwords at people makes many cave.

I will contribute to a charity but work equally as hard to fight a runaway government bilking tax payers.

How do you know you're not a fool?
I don't know I'm not.
I've been a fool many times in my life. Indeed, when I look back on it, I can find that I've been a fool for most of it.
Doubt is the beginning of wisdom, and self doubt is the beginning of doubt.

Reaction score
I've been a fool many times in my life.

And you will be again. I'm grateful for steady improvement and the ability to realize empathy. And considering the hate I lived with that says a lot.

I catch myself lots of times. I don't beat myself up over it. I just try harder the next day.

But you know you're getting older when you look at society as a whole and wonder where their parents are!

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
And you will be again. I'm grateful for steady improvement and the ability to realize empathy. And considering the hate I lived with that says a lot.

I catch myself lots of times. I don't beat myself up over it. I just try harder the next day.

But you know you're getting older when you look at society as a whole and wonder where their parents are!

What do you try harder?
How do you know the methods of trying you are using work?
A lot of people when they perceive mistakes or what they think are mistakes use the same processes with equal force.

Do you question your methods?
For example, do you question the presumptions you've shown about people and subjects here?
Do you question the efficacy of your posting methodology?
Do you question your goals?

Reaction score
What do you try harder?
How do you know the methods of trying you are using work?

(First off I must admit I'm enjoying this exchange. This is an important topic.)

Personally I look for some form of feedback. Either I see an improvement on what came before, or a comment by the recipient.

Sometimes it's just the satisfaction of knowing that instead of blowing off an important interaction I did something positive.

I'm decades into the process and I can relate that life is better.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
(First off I must admit I'm enjoying this exchange. This is an important topic.)

Personally I look for some form of feedback. Either I see an improvement on what came before, or a comment by the recipient.

Sometimes it's just the satisfaction of knowing that instead of blowing off an important interaction I did something positive.

I'm decades into the process and I can relate that life is better.

Not bad, but it goes on, who are you getting feedback from and in what form?

It's very easy to be selective in feedback, particularly if you have (as you said at the beginning) people you perceive as enemies.

Going back to Jimmy's post, and the posts of the person he's talking about, it was feedback from the people who's views were opposite to him and the encompassing of their life stories that changed minds.

If you are merely getting high fives from people who already agree with you, you aren't getting the relevant feedback.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It's particularly odd here in the UK, where we technically have a state religion, and our head of state is also head of the church. But for a politician to loudly declare faith would be political suicide.

It is the same here in Sweden, and in the other Scandinavian countries, where we have, or recently have had, state Lutheran churches. There’s a joke going here in Sweden that the former state church is the country’s biggest atheist society.

Up until 2000 when the State was separated from the state church every new born Swede was, per default, registered with the Lutheran state church. Only if your parents were of other denominations or other religions did you get registered elsewhere.

I think, and this may be true about the UK too, that the state church is seen as an arm of government in many ways, and therefore it has lost its zealous element. It’s difficult for priests as a form of special bureaucrat to be either zealous or loud.

Maybe that is what’s been behind the undoing of the state churches in Europe?

Reaction score
If you are merely getting high fives from people who already agree with you, you aren't getting the relevant feedback.

These were exchanges with people I seriously wronged. This was not just a hit and run I'm sorry.

I called some of them for a thorough discussion. I went to see many of them. I had a series of dinners with one.

Without going into detail, I did not take the process lightly. It was gutwrenching.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
These were exchanges with people I seriously wronged. This was not just a hit and run I'm sorry.

I called some of them for a thorough discussion. I went to see many of them. I had a series of dinners with one.

Without going into detail, I did not take the process lightly. It was gutwrenching.

That's vital, but it loses the casual damage that comes from seeing people who disagree with you as enemies.

You've posted a number of generalized attacks on groups of people, including the populace of Cambridge and the students thereof.

You've also made posts suggesting making false accusations as a means of getting what one wants. In the process you've implied that a lot of such accusations are false.

That's a lot of scattershot attacking and abuse. Have you interacted with and had the gutwrenching effects on their lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.