Adversaria August 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to August! (What? Where did July go?)

This is the thread to get and give support for daily writing goals. All other stuff goes in other threads, like the Braggatorium or Life of Crime and Chocolate. Thank yew!

How did your July go? What are your August goals?

I accomplished and actually well surpassed my July goals. Given what July was like for my family, I'm pretty darn pleased with that.

August: I'm sticking with 10K again. I'm hoping for more, but my fingers hurt. :(

Now, for The Challenge: This is in addition to the support thread, and you in no way are required to participate. The Challenge is a competitive race to see who can accumulate the most words in one month. We've done this in the past and it's a blast. Here are The Rules:

The Rules:

1. Word Count is key. No minimum. (example: if you only get 20 words for the day, it still counts.)

2. The person with the highest WC in a day gets bragging rights for that day.

3. All participants are on the honor system.

4. All participants must have a counter or post their total WC somewhere in their signature.

5. Contest will end at midnight EST on the last day of the month.

6. Winner is the person with the highest WC for the month. Prize is bragging rights. Use them wisely.

And that's it. Let us know if you're in, both by mentioning it in-thread and by starting a word count in your sig line.

So whether you're here to write at your own pace, to challenge others to the race, or just to cheer, welcome to August!

(I'm in for The Challenge!)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
July was not good - see word count in sig! Not sure about goals for August as I still have some research to do. Ah well, courage and shuffle the cards!

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Even if I didn't win the bragging rights, I'm still more that happy with last months word count. I exceeded my goal of 20k, which for me is an accomplishment considering my situation this year.

Not participating in this months challenge, but I will be around to root others on. The goal for this month is to wrap up the WIP, complete my edits and get it ready to publish by the middle of September.

Good luck and good wordage!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I was ecstatic to meet last month's target. The 60,000 words I now have are the first 60,000 words I've ever written on a novel, and by golly each 10k is harder than the last.

But! this month's target remains another solid 10k. This might even be the last month on the first draft given the amount of plot left in the outline! Here goes nuffin...

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in again. :box:

My goal is to do better. Uhm, hopefully, a lot better. :eek:

At least I don't foresee picking up and leaving for 15 days this month. :D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to write more in August than I did in July. First I need to figure out how many words I wrote in July. Darn hard copy doesn't transfer itself to the computer.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, MTSers!

I'm in with brand new shiny novel. I'm already a little scared of zelenka ;) , but I'll give it a go...at least until query rejections make me go curl up in bed and suck my thumb. A writer needs her thumb, or allthesentencesstarttolooklikethis.

35,000 words is my goal.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Congrats to everyone who did well in July, commiserations to those who didn't.

I sat and cut 1 500 words from the infamous novella.

I'm aiming at 7 000 words for August, but what i really want is to be finished enough with a short story or novella that I can think about submitting it for crits or even sending it off.

Good luck to all, good to be traveling with such great writers.

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I'm in. My goal is 20k or to finish the WIP, whichever comes first. I suspect I'll run out of outline well before the month is over. After I finish drafting, I still might add some new words as I know I have some character and setting work to do. We'll see how that goes.

Starting off the first day of August with 1432 new words.

Ito

Lover of all things Medieval/Japan
Registered
Reaction score
I had about 10k for July, probably more once I include the stuff I haven't typed up yet. Thankfully, I am keeping up my typing output while still holding up my free-hand writing time.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
2222. I saw that tidy-looking number and thought it was time to stop.

I like these two characters. I am interested by their problems and their attempts to work through them...and I like being the Evil Goddess of their world who is going to toss an earthquake at them in a bit. (insert evil laugh)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Can I join in?

I'm not going to bury anybody in word count, but I have GOT to get moving on my edits. Based on what I have to do to stay on schedule, I'm looking at roughly 12K this month. That works out to 400 words a day. October is going to be pare-the-word-count month, but for now I still have fleshing-out to do.

I write mostly in the evenings, after my kid is in bed, so I'll update word count later.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I join in?

I'm not going to bury anybody in word count, but I have GOT to get moving on my edits. Based on what I have to do to stay on schedule, I'm looking at roughly 12K this month. That works out to 400 words a day. October is going to be pare-the-word-count month, but for now I still have fleshing-out to do.

I write mostly in the evenings, after my kid is in bed, so I'll update word count later.

Hi, lizmonster, welcome to the monthly mad house.:welcome:

Good luck with the editing.

My target for this month is to keep writing, stop editing, and get this first draft done. (Yup, the same goal as last month, and the month before, and...:tongue)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Can I join in?

Welcome liz! Glad to have you!

Hi, lizmonster, welcome to the monthly mad house.

Hey! We resemble that remark! :D

I'm going to guess Aug. 1 is a big fat zero for me. I can't tell you exactly how many people have been in my house all day, but it's a lot and I fed them all and I'm exhausted and my kids are going to Grandma's so for the first time in a month I'll be kid-free (make that TWO months) so I'm going to just sit and stare blankly at the wall for a while tonight.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
hj, again I say: duct tape. Good for tying people up and gagging them. And, come to think of it, barring the door.

On topic, I do plan to write today.

Hi there, lizmonster!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in again, because I want to finish the first draft. Though that'll take more maths, as I can't just put the total word count for the document in, but will have to figure out how much I've done each day in August. That sounds hard. I'm not that good with numebery things.

July goals seriously surpassed. I am insanely happy at having written. I was starting to think I had lost the ability to put an actual word on a page, and now I'm more than halfway through the MS. But it does show that if I knuckle down I can do it and produce words, so I have no excuse.

So far for August, 6,761, despite my boiler trying to sabotage my big scene where my two MCs finally get together. The boiler also tried to blow up. Stupid boiler.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to guess Aug. 1 is a big fat zero for me. I can't tell you exactly how many people have been in my house all day, but it's a lot and I fed them all and I'm exhausted and my kids are going to Grandma's so for the first time in a month I'll be kid-free (make that TWO months) so I'm going to just sit and stare blankly at the wall for a while tonight.

A kid-free night, HJ? Whatever will you and hubby do?:evil

Forgot to say, managed 1,442 words today so far.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I'm in this month, but only for 500 a day, not a contest. Y'all would blow me away. I got in 566 this morning on my new WIP. Maybe I can get down a good 15,000 this month. That would rock.

Everyone have your best write!

Lucie

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
So I rose to the challenge (not really) and am plugging in 1,103 words. Way past bedtime though. Mind, the cat bringing another mouse in didn't help, and nor did the release of more Olympics tickets (not that I got any, grumble grumble).

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
2197 typed up. More or less at the right spot in the manuscript. Now for new words.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Dang people!

And I was pleased with my 900. I just might have to sit and write for an hour before going to bed to get in a few extra words.

Stopping right at exactly 900 was clearly bad luck. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1412 today, but the chapter I'm working on is completely new. Still wondering how I could have called it a first draft with so many pieces missing!

hj, again I say: duct tape. Good for tying people up and gagging them. And, come to think of it, barring the door.

You know, I've thought about this, but everybody tells me child services gets a little snippy about it. (Kidding! Kidding! Really!)

Thanks for the welcome, team. :hi: Good writing to all.