Script To Novel

tomelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.integrityartistsmanagement.com
In todays market Hollywood is doing remakes,reboots and sequels. Its very hard for a newbie screenwriter to break in. They are just not taking original scripts..Just not willing to take a risk.

Turning scripts into Novels and hoping the novel is successful is one way to break in. You can pitch the script show that it was a successful novel and has a fan base.

Or we can just watch Smurf Remakes.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Turning scripts into Novels and hoping the novel is successful is one way to break in. You can pitch the script show that it was a successful novel and has a fan base.
Is this something you've done and had success doing?

I can't think of any book/movie pair that arose in this order. I'd be really interested in hearing about examples where the script became a book first in order to eventually become a movie.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Is this something you've done and had success doing?

I can't think of any book/movie pair that arose in this order. I'd be really interested in hearing about examples where the script became a book first in order to eventually become a movie.
I bet there are loads of writers who turned their scripts into novels when they had no luck breaking in, even though we might not know it. It's by no means a sure route, of course, but I am getting far better reactions to excepts of my WIP book than I did when it was a script, though I resisted at first, because I didn't think I knew how to write books.

I find I don't really care whether it/they get taken on as movies now. I'm sure that would change should there be bites in that direction, but for the moment I'm happy with the medium.

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
In todays market Hollywood is doing remakes,reboots and sequels. Its very hard for a newbie screenwriter to break in. They are just not taking original scripts..Just not willing to take a risk.

I like your enthusiasm, but where does this idea come from? If you succeed as a novelist, sure, you might be able to interest a studio in adapting the property, but aren't you just trading one set of high improbables for another? Odds aren't great for publishing a book either, let alone publishing a successful enough to book to lead to the acquisition of screen rights.

Not to mention screenwriters and novelists tend to be slightly different breeds. There's a reason most novelists don't adapt their own material. And studios don't run to hire novelists for adaptations.

So, uh, yeah, can you provide some specifics? Your assertion seems vague and a little too "we can do it!" to be practical.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to write a novel based on one of my scripts, but it's more for the experience rather than a roundabout way of getting it made into a movie (which would, of course, be very nice).

sharpyetblunt

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. If the script is good people will give you the time of day. They might not make that script but they'll be interested in doing other stuff with you. If no one cared about your script then theres probably not gonna be legions of people going out to buy the book. Not enough to make it any more viable as a potential movie anyway.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
In todays market Hollywood is doing remakes,reboots and sequels. They are just not taking original scripts.
Is that myth true?

A quick check a while ago didn't backup up this claim:

http://macharwood.blogspot.com/2011/05/is-hollywood-obsessed-with-remakes.html

Do you have different figures?

Turning scripts into Novels and hoping the novel is successful is one way to break in.
In the link referenced above:

* 60%: Totally New
* 12%: Based on Book (Many of the 'based on book' classification seemed to be for IP reasons rather than because of the book's popularity)

I'm sure it is 'one way' to break in... but based on your research - how many films have been made in the last 5 years by following this path? (ie: Wrote script. Didn't get any interest. Wrote novel. Sold Novel. Now interest in script)

Mac
(PS: NMS had an interesting discussion about films like 'Easy A' .. which rely on existing property but aren't a remake, reboot or sequel. The good thing about those projects is that *anyone* can do them as they are based on public domain material)

Last edited:

Wtrailer

Registered
Reaction score
I have been considering doing something like this too. I have never written a novel before. It may be a good way to flesh out the characters in a script and provide some back story that you otherwise could not do in the context of a screenplay.

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
Write what you want to write, and forget about the business. If your heart is in it, and you write well, you might get attention. "Might" being the operative word, because politics is huge in Hollywood and getting your material read is tough without an in.
If your heart is in writing a novel, then write one. If it's a screenplay, then write one. Chasing the business will only keep you behind the eight ball and miserable.