• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Picture Book Beta Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianna Burch

Angry owl is judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone more experienced in the PB field to help me refine my picture book. With a few rejections, I figure it's about time to have some fresh eyes look at it. It's a teensy bit over 280 words, so it's nice and short.

Please and thank you,
Adri

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the self-published one or a different one?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you are aware a picture book narrative is so small it easily fits into the appropriate SYW Forum, which is password protected to keep out roving google-bots and is regularly visted by many capable critters including those with PB experience.

I do hope it's not a 'don't want anyone to steal my idea' thought that curiously has you looking here for an anonymous beta reader.

Adrianna Burch

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, it's very much not. :) I was thinking about putting it there, but I heard you shouldn't put your whole story up or you've wasted the rights to first release and I didn't know if that counts with picture books.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Putting work on a critique Forum is not publishing.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid question: does a picture book come with pictures? That would be a good reason to not put it on SYW (posting pics can be tedious and requires them to be on the web somewhere and uses up a lot of bandwidth etc.)

Adrianna Burch

Registered
Reaction score
It could, but mine doesn't. I've just heard the advice of don't put up the whole thing echoed in SYW many times before.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It could, but mine doesn't. I've just heard the advice of don't put up the whole thing echoed in SYW many times before.

SYW doesn't count - it's password protected, so it's not considered "published."

And while for a novel you can't post the whole thing in SYW at once, for a less than 300 word PB you can post the whole text in Children's share your work for critique.

SYW is your best bet.

~suki

Status
Not open for further replies.