• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pelican Book Group

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/

Christian publisher of ebooks and print. Three imprints: White Rose (romance), Harbourlight (mystery/suspense/crime/police procedural), and Watershed (YA).

Online submission form to White Rose on 6/24
Full Request 7/18

Totally forgot I had submitted to them so this is a pleasant surprise--plus it's my third time. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard more on them? Do they pay advances? Are they legit?

I submitted to the YA imprint Watershed. They look pretty good.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to keep bugging people, but if they know anything about this publisher, that would be great.

The reason I am so interested is because I got a full request. I did some searching and found out they do pay an advance. It says in Sally Stuart's guide book that Harbourlight pays a "nominal advance." The "nominal" part scares me. How small can it really go? Maybe a token advance?

There's an agent from Hartline that I think represented a book by them. There it reads that they also do foreign rights too.

They're not on the P&E. Victoria, if you can come by and tell me more, I would appreciate that.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I've subbed 2 books to them before. Both got a request for a full, but I decided to go with another publisher before I got any farther with Watershed. They only do paperbacks for books over 65K (which I didn't know with my second book and it was just 62 when I submitted it).

I see nothing wrong with them right off. I've thought about subbing to them again. Let me know how it goes with them :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much Oh. I didn't see that anyway in the guidelines. I really wish they would say that, that changes things. Thanks again.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
P&E just got to them today and will post the listing later tonight. We don't have any complaints on file concerning them. In fact, they look all right so far.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on response times on fulls with Watershed?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
This is the first I've heard of them. I think I might slip something to their watershed line. Nominal advance? That one irks me too. My crystal ball says about $100 or maybe a bit more. Heck, who knows. Tokens can run from 0 to $50, I'm reckoning.

ETA: I take that back. I think I'm a little too edgy for them.

tri

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
15 days for me. They were quick.

And no, I don't think they give a good advance. More on the token side. Nor will they print your book unless it's a higher word count.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, heck, Lisa. Maybe they'll sit up and take notice of your sub. Let me know how that one pans out. I just don't have anything in my titles that reinforces or subtly promotes the Christian ethic. I know they want some type of a C foundation, and that would be a theme that would have to be carried out in the rest of the story. I'd miss on those points.

I think the only God or Jesus reference I have in my books are those of the used in vain variety. Gak.

tri

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, Tri. I should clarify. They requested a full (not sure between query and full) but I got a response the big R 15 days after they requested the whole thing. Sorry bout that.

Thanks though, Tri. As I told you before, I have other things in the works, so hopefully something good will come of it.

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
Oops, Tri. I should clarify. They requested a full (not sure between query and full) but I got a response the big R 15 days after they requested the whole thing. Sorry bout that.

Thanks though, Tri. As I told you before, I have other things in the works, so hopefully something good will come of it.

I'm on day 20 from the full request. *fingers crossed*

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on day 20 from the full request. *fingers crossed*

Good luck, Kelly. Hope it works out.

And yeah, it was quick. Honestly I'm surprised they even requested it in the first place. They do say they consider edgier works. Mine was on the edgy side. More so than not. But they never mentioned exactly why they declined it. They just said that they didn't think the work was right for Watershed.

Ookiewookie

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else sub to Pelican Book Group lately? If so, how long did it take to hear from them once you subbed on their website, and if you sent a full, how long did it take for a yay, nay, or R&R request from them?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Pelican Book Group (hope this is the right thread) is now accepting romance subs. Copied from the e-mail:

They are not interested in publishing a book that has been previously self published. They stress this point on their website more than once, as they evidently have to deal with this issue a lot. So please do not submit a previously published book to them.

Their website is aimed at readers, not writers, which is always a good sign. Although I did find their website a little hard to navigate.

Many authors have published multiple books with them, which is also a good sign. Their covers vary wildly in quality, some are excellent and others are very amateurish.

They respond through email exclusively, so make sure your spam filter does not block them. Also their response times have been generally reported as being rather quick, and almost always under 60 days.

All submissions must be made through their online submission form. They ask that you specify which imprint you are submitting to, so it is worth your time to research all the imprints before hand to ensure that you are querying the right editor. Their submission form is very thorough. You should make sure to spell check and edit all your written responses before submitting the form.

May you C-fic romancers' work find favor!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
I was following some old links from threads past, and noticed an AW'er had mentioned editing (?) for PBG. I followed their link, and was exploring their imprints, and some stuff looked pretty good. But I also noticed their blog hadn't been updated since 2015, and they still have a link up to a "special call for submissions for a 2012 holiday release extravaganza" and the second-to-last item under "news" is from 2016.

Just checking in to see if PBG is still an active entity?