• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

JABberwocky Literary Agency (Joshua Bilmes)

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the agent has recently changed their wish list, I think that would override a one-for-all policy, anyway. After all, if the agent himself didn't know until recently that he wanted to see high fantasy, or romance, or whatever, how could his colleagues have known?

Satchan

Cake or death?
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they are a no response means no agency? I queried Sam Morgan back in September because I thought he'd be a really good fit, but haven't heard anything. I'd like to know because Eddie Schneider is also on my list, but obviously I don't want to end up querying them both at the same time if he hasn't gotten to it yet.

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Joshua on 2/26 and got a PR from his assistant Ben Grange for the first ten pages on 3/17. Very excited but looks from Querytracker that he is very selective, understandably. But I'm a huge Charlaine Harris and Brandon Sanderson fan so I can still dream! Excited about Harris' new series.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely thrilled to have a 'like' from Eddie Schneider on #dvpit yesterday, but I'm freaking out, wondering if my book is good enough to send. I've been in crisis about the interest for this book since I began seriously pitching it... Gah! Any updates on Mr. Schneider's response times? He's requested three chapters as an RTF. Thanks!

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely thrilled to have a 'like' from Eddie Schneider on #dvpit yesterday, but I'm freaking out, wondering if my book is good enough to send. I've been in crisis about the interest for this book since I began seriously pitching it... Gah! Any updates on Mr. Schneider's response times? He's requested three chapters as an RTF. Thanks!

Send it. If you've got an agent from Jabberwocky interested in your work, don't ever pass up the chance. I actually had my current novel requested by both Eddie Schneider and Joshua Bilmes. Ultimately I went with another agent, but if you do fantasy and/or science fiction, it's definitely a good sign when this agency shows interest.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Send it. If you've got an agent from Jabberwocky interested in your work, don't ever pass up the chance. I actually had my current novel requested by both Eddie Schneider and Joshua Bilmes. Ultimately I went with another agent, but if you do fantasy and/or science fiction, it's definitely a good sign when this agency shows interest.

Nope, I do write space opera but this new book isn't in any way spec fic. It's cont YA, and I haven't sent the query yet. I'm going in order and it's taken me the entire day, between doing other things, to get the first queries out. Thanks for the input. Will advise what happens!

avnelson

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Joshua on 2/26 and got a PR from his assistant Ben Grange for the first ten pages on 3/17. Very excited but looks from Querytracker that he is very selective, understandably. But I'm a huge Charlaine Harris and Brandon Sanderson fan so I can still dream! Excited about Harris' new series.

Got a 75 Page personalized PR after the initial 10 page PR from Joshua! Pinch me...

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Has anyone had the opportunity to meet or work with Susan Velazquez? She's currently working as Josh and Eddie's assistant while building a client list of her own. It's a storied agency, so I have no doubt she'll have some amazing support. But just wanted to do my due diligence and see if anyone had any opinions on the matter.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a number of interactions with her in her role as assistant, and she seems very nice, organized, and responsive. I can't speak beyond that.

Eilonwy

Registered
Reaction score
Bridget Smith (formerly of Dunham Literary) is moving to JABberwocky as of May 6, and is closed for her first month there. She added "I'm thrilled to be able to use their resources to develop my SFF list, but I am also going to keep working on MG & YA in all genres."

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Will she consider projects that other Jabberwocky agents declined?

I hope. It looks like a supercool agency to me.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Question for folks who have queried Bridget. Did you get an auto-response? I didn't get anything at all to acknowledge receipt.

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
Question for folks who have queried Bridget. Did you get an auto-response? I didn't get anything at all to acknowledge receipt.

I did not get confirmation she received my email, but I did get a rejection 5 weeks later.