Hello!

sejaii

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Jaime. I'm so happy I found this forum, I know you will all be invaluable as I fall more seriously into writing.

I am a recent college graduate, currently writing a dystopian YA novel while I sit around being unemployed.

Since I've been lurking on a lot of the YA and SYW YA threads, I have come to realize my novel doesn't have a distinctively YA voice at all. It's more adult, I feel, and now I'm kind of depressed. I am going to be delusional while I finish it and pretend that it's unique but AWESOME, AND MUCH NEEDED in the YA world, rather than that it's just written all wrong for a YA audience. Probably I am just not in touch enough with teenagers, but whatever.

Anyway, I know the lines can be blurred, and that I could be writing an adult book with teen protagonists, and I'm not asking anyone to try to divine the genre of my book. I'm just complaining.

I'm excited to find someone via this forum who will be a writing friend/reader. None of my friends read YA books, and I feel like they won't be able to accurately judge how wrong (or right) my book is in comparison, when I go attempt to sell it.

So thanks for reading, and existing, and hi!

Flowerfairy

Lady Entropia
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. Don't be discouraged by what you've already seen. Just get interactive and write. Best of luck.

CatchingADragon

dragon seeker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catchingadragon.com
Welcome from another new member! Best of luck with your novel! I probably wouldn't worry about the YA / adult issue until you're ready to start looking for an agent or publisher. I'm not sure how they make the distinction. In the meantime, just have as much fun as you can!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome back to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Newbie Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Week thread at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

JLBrady

up to no good
Registered
Reaction score
The line between YA and adult can be a little blurry at time. Especially now that it's becoming increasingly common for 40-somethings to read YA books instead of adult ones. You'll sort it all out eventually. Just write the story and worry about the classification later.

...Welcome!

ZeroSuit

We all go a little mad sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jaime! Welcome~

You'll sort it all out, and being here will help you figure out your conflict.
Good luck in your writing!

Mandiloo322

[Shhhh....I'm writing.]
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Just keep writing - when you're ready, test it on some beta readers (who have read lots of YA) and they'll be able to help you classify it. Best of luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

In fact, we have lots of brilliant FAQ’s check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

iron9567

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the site hope you enjoy your stay here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to post them on the site. Jump in and take your shoes off and make yourself at home. Can't wait to see you out in the boards.
thanks
the iron man

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow unemployed recent graduate. Hey, at least it's great for writing time.

CALVIN M

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. The previous comments are bang on. My wife and I are probably the biggest kids going, and we are in our fifties and sixties. In case you needed to know, yes I married a cougar. Anyways, we love reading Harry Potter, Percy Jackson etc...and we were definatly kids when we went to see Disney World last year.

So you just keep on writing, because no matter what genre is finally decided upon, in the end, if your book is good enough to be published...there will be an audience.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jamie!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about this software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area
and explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-