Film recommendations for me laddo

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned the original Cat People?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You can add a whole bunch of the Val Lewton-produced films as well - Isle of the Dead in particular is a favorite of mine, though The Ghost Ship is probably considered more important.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, are you trying to make me bankrupt? :D Nice list.

Thanks. Be happy I kept it age-appropriate, or I'd've had to include a few dozen things more, like Peeping Tom or Spider Baby or Blood Feast. ;)

I didn't even list the essential serials, either. So, here they are:

Adventures of Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher, Secret Service in Darkest Africa (a major source of the plot of Raiders of the Lost Ark), Flash Gordon, Drums of Fu Manchu, Tiger Girl (Linda Stirling - Rrrrowwwrrr!), and many more! No, not Minnie Moore - many more!

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Dude... King of the Rocket Men. If we are including film serials, then the inspiration for The Rocketeer has to be on the list. :)

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Dude... King of the Rocket Men. If we are including film serials, then the inspiration for The Rocketeer has to be on the list. :)

Absolutely! I just listed the first few that popped into my overworked and underpaid brain. Some other good ones are The Masked Marvel, The Mysterious Dr. Satan, The New Adventures of Tarzan, and Zorro's Fighting Legion. The silent Son of Tarzan is pretty good, too.

I have almost 130 serials in my collection.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... The Secret Garden, 1949 and The Little Princess, 1939 are cool. Both have fantasy elements.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Thought of a few others:

Dragonslayer - Older Disney live-action movie, holds up decently today.
Dragonheart - I consider Draco the dragon to be the first modern stand-alone CGI character, and one of cinema's greatest dragons of all time.
Young Sherlock Holmes - Surprisingly well done movie in which Holmes and Watson meet at a boarding school and investigate mysterious murders.
Dreamscape - Psychics can enter other people's dreams. I've always had a soft spot for this one; loved the concept, and the story's not half bad.
War Games - A classic "hacker hits the wrong computer" story; at the dawn of the Internet, a boy (Matthew Broderick) inadvertently starts playing a war game with the computer behind America's nuclear missle defense system.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Rocketeer (kind of a spoof as I recall, but your laddo might enjoy it).

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Hey IRU how abouty Army of Darkness: It's fun seeing Ash, the witless hero, somehow saving the day.

And I'll add my voice to Captain Horatio Hornblower: Classic melding of two of Forresters novels into one rip roaring adventure yarn with Gregory Peck nailing the lead. (So to speak).

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well Jayne is awesome. He's seen all the episodes too (and Red Dwarf, Blackadder and the Young Ones, naturally, I mean, them's the basics, right?)

Hey IRU how abouty Army of Darkness: It's fun seeing Ash, the witless hero, somehow saving the day.

I think he's seen that. It's tricky, what with the Old Man having a zombie phobia - but even he can just about manage Ash. In fact he's a huge fan of The Chin

Ohhh...Bubba Ho Tep. I think the laddo might like that.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Comedy?
Danny Kayes' 'The Court Jester'?
Crosby/Hope's 'Road to Morocco'?
A Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movie? I can't recall any of them, but they're 'classics' I think, and offer perspective on the whole 'dim-wit' style of comedy. Jerry Lewis = Adam Sandler?

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Comedy?
Danny Kayes' 'The Court Jester'?
Crosby/Hope's 'Road to Morocco'?
A Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movie? I can't recall any of them, but they're 'classics' I think, and offer perspective on the whole 'dim-wit' style of comedy. Jerry Lewis = Adam Sandler?

Court Jester is a good one. The Inspector General is also good.
Road to Morocco is probably the best of the Road Pictures. The others are good, except the last one, IMHO
I'm not a huge Martin & Lewis fan, but a few are tolerable. Scared Stiff is a remake of Bob Hope's The Ghostbreakers, so it starts with some good source material and doesn't mangle it too badly. Artists and Models is mildly amusing.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Court Jester is a good one. The Inspector General is also good.
Road to Morocco is probably the best of the Road Pictures. The others are good, except the last one, IMHO
I'm not a huge Martin & Lewis fan, but a few are tolerable. Scared Stiff is a remake of Bob Hope's The Ghostbreakers, so it starts with some good source material and doesn't mangle it too badly. Artists and Models is mildly amusing.
Yeah, not much on Martin & Lewis myself, but if we're taking the kiddo on a tour through movie history, they should at least be mentioned. I seem to remember Jerry Lewis's 'Cinderfella' as being okay.
After all, some guys like the Three Stooges, so he might like Jerry Lewis.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
No kid should grow up without watching:
Beauty and the Beast
Commando for a classic Arnie flick that's, probably unintentionally, hilarious
Mortal Kombat
The Matrix
Wizard of Oz of course
Pan's Labyrinth, a bit dark but good themes
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Haven't seen it since I was a kid but remember loving Willy Wonka
Star Wars, old trilogy
All covered. :D

But today I got a few dvds in the post - Passport to Pimlico, Green Mile (we have it, but it's on vid and the video player's borked sooo) and a special bonus Equilibrium. Got a few more on order too. My poor credit card...

The Road movies - I vaguely recall those and I suspect he'd love the Morocco one - he loves going there, and keeps nagging to go back, but seeing as our favourite cafe got blown up last year....

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
All covered. :D

But today I got a few dvds in the post - Passport to Pimlico, Green Mile (we have it, but it's on vid and the video player's borked sooo) and a special bonus Equilibrium. Got a few more on order too. My poor credit card...

The Road movies - I vaguely recall those and I suspect he'd love the Morocco one - he loves going there, and keeps nagging to go back, but seeing as our favourite cafe got blown up last year....
AIR the Road movies were filmed on soundstages (probably the same one for all of them) so it's probably not going to remind him of the real thing. :)

The305itself

Registered
Reaction score
The good, the bad, and the ugly

Fletch (PG, funny)

Seven years in Tibet

Fight Club (possibly greatest movie ever)