transfering files on homegroup in win7

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
I have two pcs both up-to-date with all Microsoft updates. I have created a home group that each pc recognizes. Yet I have problems effortlessly tranfering files from one pc to another. I have followed all on the homegroup wizard so am confident it is set up collectly.

There is something I'm not getting here. Something very simple I'm sure. Something that Microsoft, as usual, also misses in its instructions.

What do you think it is? Give me some advice please.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Hi Steppe,

Some questions:
1) Which MS operating version are you using? XP, Vista (god forbid), Windows 7? Sounds like you are using Windows 7
2) How large are the files that you are looking to transfer? 1mb or 1gb, for example?
3) Have you enabled 'sharing' of the folders (i.e. you have to 'share' the folder with the homegroup before you can access the folder from another computer)?

Love your use of the words 'effortlessly sharing'. Nothing with MS is effortless, I'm afraid, ha ha.

Thanks
Ken

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Kenebaker - Thank you. Windows 7 . File sizes vary from single photos to folders. I have "read/write" enabled. Can I only read the folders and have to use a usb sandisk to transfer the folder itself and large contents? I was thinking I could just trasnfer my whole "pictures" folder on homegroup netwrok. Maybe I can only read them and have to use the sandisk to transfer.

Deleted member 42

I have two pcs both up-to-date with all Microsoft updates. I have created a home group that each pc recognizes. Yet I have problems effortlessly tranfering files from one pc to another.

1. Can you describe the problems?

2. Is your network via Ethernet or WiFi?

3. Can you tell us something about the size of the files? How much data are you transferring/attempting to transfer?

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Ok. We can try two things.

1) Try to share a folder - the basic way.
2) Check your homegroup settings to see if you correctly set this up.

Let's start with number 1 first:
- Click on Start menu, and then click on 'Computer'.
- You will see the various folders in 'My Computer' are displayed on a tree on the left side. You will be wanting to share the 'Pictures' folder.
- In the tree menu, right click on 'Pictures'
- Select 'Share with'
- Choose 'Homegroup Read / Write'

This should have shared the folder. To confirm that this worked you can:
- In 'Computer', click on 'Network' in the tree.
- Select which laptop / PC that you are currently working on.
- The shared folder should be listed underneath it.

You can also check the other PC to see if you can move files. Go to the other PC:
- Open 'Computer'
- Check under 'Homegroup'
- Select the name of the other pc
- The newly shared folder should be visible there.

Please let me know if this worked for you. If not, we can check out Point 2, which will see how your settings for your homegroup are configured. (and please don't feel despondent with setting this up - even though Windows 7 is much better than other versions, it is still not as intuitive as it should be).

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Another temporary solution would be to use a cloud solution like Dropbox, where it keeps a synced copy of the folder on ALL of your machines. The folder is identical on all, and is useful for storing anything from images to music and documents etc. This is a great backup option as your stuff is stored in the cloud, so if anything happens to your apartment (i.e. theft of your laptops), then at least your documents are safe and can be re-downloaded.
You can get dropbox from the following link: http://db.tt/PHjDsfJ