July / August Western Prompt--Waterhole

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I live on the Santa Fe Trail. It is a dry place. A lot of our place names are tied up with water like Wagon Bed Springs, Middle Spring on the Cimarron, Cowskin Creek, The Black Pool, Big Basin. The names are wonderfully romantic.

So let's say the story should be centered around a waterhole--sink, creek, seep, spring--it doesn't matter. Real or fictional, that's up to you. But it should be a memorable location and it should have a name.

I write best at about 1,500 words but it can be stretched to 2,500 like last time. I say July/ August because my g-daughters are coming for the month and I might not get around to this until they leave--s6

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Shakey - did you ask Derek to sticky this thread and un-sticky BK's?

Waterhole sounds like a good topic. Hope we get some takers. Puma

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Are we stretching the interpretation because knowing me, I'm gonna write about a bar or something strange. If you want though, I will keep it to physical water sources.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
there used to be a notorious bar on the cimarron cut off. the town was dry so it was on an island in the arkansas. there was a hell of a bar brawl and murder there. i used to live on the cut off and heard the story in a kansas history lesson. hell off bar/brothel on coon creek too, in the santa fe trail days. and a murder and a ghost story--old kate--a rip roaring red haired barmaid murdered by a soldier from ft. hays.

wow--i'm getting all pumped up about this. think of all the bars that sprung up by water holes all over the west!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dry means teetotal. the town wouldn't allow a bar so they built the saloon on an island in the river outside of the city limits. carrie nation was from medicine lodge, in kansas. big temperance nut with a hatchet--s6

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Shakey, I was too busy to do anything for your prompt and I won't even promise I'll be around to look at any posts. Hope you do get some of both. Puma

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sad to say, I barely have a start. I spent July and the first week of August editing proofs and then school started. I'll try to scratch something up. Not much of a host. --s6