vacations

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Do you write on vacation? I am going way for a week and trying to decide if I should pack my computer or not. I am doing the weekly challenge and don't want to fall behind, but I also don't want to think about writing all week. What do you guys do when you go on vacation?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm far more productive in my output when on vacation than at any other time. Because I don't have to, you know, *work*. :)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Do you write on vacation? I am going way for a week and trying to decide if I should pack my computer or not. I am doing the weekly challenge and don't want to fall behind, but I also don't want to think about writing all week. What do you guys do when you go on vacation?

I've written while on vacation, but I think it's truly a matter of personal preference.

If you wanted to give yourself a week "off" for your vacation, there's no reason not to do so. On the other hand, if you think you'll be frustrated with having taking a week away, then take the laptop. I know that you've said before that flash isn't your favorite thing, but maybe it's a good week to give it a try! :)

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from vacation and I took my electronic notebook (which I don't like using since it only has WordPad and not regular Word), but I got some of my steamiest scenes written while I was sitting around the pool.

Of course, that may have had something to do with the cabana boys who kept bringing me pina coladas...:e2brows:

Datepalm

Registered
Reaction score
Really looking forwards to summer break so I can stare at a the screen for hours and occasionaly put a word down, without the nagging background sense that I really should be studying or working (I work from home.) So if we're voting, I guess - take the laptop. You can always NOT write, but this way you have the option if you get an itch.

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I like writing on vacation. Especially if it's somewhere quiet. I wouldn't take my laptop to Vegas or Disney World, for instance, but if I'm going to be lounging around on a beach? Definitely.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to leave the computer but bring my smart pen. That should lighten the load. Plus, I kind of want to take the week off from checking email.

Do any of you use a smart pen? I got it for xmas and never used it, but I think the concept is pretty cool.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
When I go on holiday, I take a thick spiral bound foolscap workbook, several pens, and my laptop. I do the majority of my first drafts for every story by hand. When I enter it into the computer, it receives its first edit, but is still very raw. I find it relaxing to write by hand when I'm on holidays. My surroundings, or things that happen, often inspire me. Because I'm writing by hand, I'm not in editing ("work") mode. The only problem on holidays is interruptions from people when they don't realise I'm in my head and not available, and sometimes, having a drink that's a bit too potent - I like to have a clear head when I write. Though I gather that some things are easier to write with a drink... :) (I hear you, Beachgirl.)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Since I only write on my days off (from my job that actually brings in an income anyway), it kills me to lose those days. My husband SO doesn't get it, but my laptop comes along whenever we go out of town. I have an adapter for the truck cigarette lighter so I can work on long drives or in the camper. I don't get much new work done usually -- as I like whole days without distraction for that -- but I can work on critiques for others and edits of existing work and sometimes even new stuff. I do tend to get ideas for new stories while on vacation as I'm less focused on a specific project.
I'm so glad to hear other W1S1-ers can't leave their writing behind either! Makes me feel better to have other kindred obsessers out there. I even wrote a blog post about this after the first time I took my laptop camping. Seriously, do all writers have OCD?