amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Jim, It's possible I can modify some of the current smilies to this end. Let me take a crack at it over the weekend.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Jim, It's possible I can modify some of the current smilies to this end. Let me take a crack at it over the weekend.

Thank you. I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated by the many and hated by the few.

Best,

Jim Clark-Dawe

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
comes with a twitching eye and a vein in its forehead ready to explode,

Ah, so you've seen what I look like these days. I'm afraid it's becoming permanent.

Deleted member 42

But Jan Darby and I are having a discussion, and I think she's on to a good idea. We need two smileys, one that says "READ THE STICKIES!" and a second, for those who are really frustrating us or just taking a while to get the message "READ THE STICKIES NOW!!!" I think these two stickies would save immense amounts of time and effort by posters, both within QLH, where we're having the discussion, and in other forums where I've seen the need arrive.

I'll pass it on to Mac, but for my part, if members can't be bothered to read the stickies, I'm not sure they belong on a writer's forum.

There's a thing we say in technical circles:

RTFM

Read The Friggin' Manual.

And sometime, there's a note on a user support record:

PEBKAC

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Cranium.

Though I do appreciate the frustration behind the request, and the endless patience exhibited by many.

Rhynri

Registered
Reaction score
And sometime, there's a note on a user support record:

PEBKAC

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Cranium.

I always thought the 'C' on that stood for "Chair".

On another note, if someone can PM me a concise list of requested emotes that the management wants to see implemented and the requirements (e.g. resolution, etc), I can produce them for you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe I'm actually going to suggest adding smileys, considering my opinion of smileys.

But Jan Darby and I are having a discussion, and I think she's on to a good idea. We need two smileys, one that says "READ THE STICKIES!" and a second, for those who are really frustrating us or just taking a while to get the message "READ THE STICKIES NOW!!!" I think these two stickies would save immense amounts of time and effort by posters, both within QLH, where we're having the discussion, and in other forums where I've seen the need arrive.

Further, with some work, these could be adapted for those tools who need to go back and read the Newbie warnings. Saving even more time and effort that we shouldn't have to waste.

So if there is some designer who could help Jan and me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim Clark-Dawe

I have done an animated "Read the Stickies!" smiley. It's up to you, or whoever, to talk Mac in to including it in the AW smiley list.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I have done an animated "Read the Stickies!" smiley. It's up to you, or whoever, to talk Mac in to including it in the AW smiley list.

Thank you, Alleycat.

I'm not sure such a smiley would convince the person to whom it is directed to change their behavior. What I'm thinking is that it would make it quicker and easier, and probably reduce the blood pressure of the person posting it. Sometimes I think the most frequent post on this forum is to read the stickies/newbie guide. Collectively if you add up the time experienced posters have spent writing this thought, in various different ways, we might actually have time to find a life. Admittedly a strange concept, and I wouldn't know what to do with having an actual life, I do understand that some people like having a life.

I've sent this as a PM to Mac.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my thanks (and my doctor's implied thanks for the effects on my blood pressure, as JCD suggested) for the :read: emoticon.

Deleted member 42

I've got a couple others to add as well, thanks to alleycat.

Will do asap, but might have to wait for the weekend.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I see we have a kitty smiley, but no dog smilies? Is alleycat behind that? Does Haggis know? I'd like to see a dog smiley.

I was poking around the smilies today and I'm wondering what this one :e2apple: would be used for ... ?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see a dog smiley.

2pog.jpg

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be possible to get a singing smiley?

LucidCrux

Write like there's no tommorowe.
Registered
Reaction score

Yes.gif

These are smilies I've made over the years for forums I was on. They don't conform to other smilies, but they are all animated and smaller file sizes than the small ones that come default. If you'd like to add them or replace any existing ones, feel free. I might even be up for making more; I haven't done any in a couple years.