Installing anti-virus software

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a new pc, that came with Macafee pre- installed. I want something else. Thanks to a different thread here I've decided on Microsoft Security Essentials. My question is: do I need to uninstall Macafee before I download Security Essentials?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Use Revo Uninstaller (free edition) to remove all of Macafee (they like to hold on to your computer)

Then MSE should be fine.

The best antivirus is: Commons Sense, bleeding edge edition 2013 with hourly updates. :D (That's a joke)

Deleted member 42

Okay, thanks.

Please also create a new, special User account on your computer with Admin (you can even use the same password as your regular account) and make your everyday account a non-Admin account.

It's safer. You're less likely to allow installs without thinking.

kenebaker

Master of Meh!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kenebaker.com
Yes, definitely remove mcaffee, otherwise it will slow down your computer to have two antiviruses on your computer.

I used MS Security Essentials, but I did my reviews and felt that there were better options out there, so I moved across to Avast (which is also free) and I am seriously happy with the move. I also have Avast for my phone, which is a nice bonus :)

Message me if you would like to know more about why I chose Avast.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, definitely remove mcaffee, otherwise it will slow down your computer to have two antiviruses on your computer.

I used MS Security Essentials, but I did my reviews and felt that there were better options out there, so I moved across to Avast (which is also free) and I am seriously happy with the move. I also have Avast for my phone, which is a nice bonus :)

Message me if you would like to know more about why I chose Avast.

I also moved to Avast a couple years back and have been happy with it. I'm running it on 4 of the 5 home computers (one son insists on Norton) and have had no problems.