Anyone attended Oxford? Need advice! :)

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
My MC is an American student at Oxford. Before anyone asks, no, I have not attended (though I have been through the application process), and no I have not visited (though that is on next year's agenda, provided the money keeps coming in).

I have specific questions regarding the work load, the tutoring vs actual classroom lecture, life in college and the town itself. If anyone's been -- especially as an American -- I'd love to hear from you, if you don't mind a lot of questions! :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the experience will depend on the college, for sure, but yeah, I got a degree there (and took an extra year doing it, so I know even more about the city now ;) :D). This was in 2009. I'll rep you my e-mail addy.

Darcie

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't, but if you have any general university/college questions, feel free to message me.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I haven't, but if you have any general university/college questions, feel free to message me.

It's nice to be helpful, but the Oxbridge universities are unique and very different to a "normal" university. I went to University in the UK, but I can't tell you much about how they work etc etc. I know A A Gil reviewed the restaurant you take your parents to when they come to visit (at which pater pays) in the Sunday Times this week. It wasn't very good.
Also, College in the US - utterly different to the UK. There you do a degree in a subject, rather than the US method of credits (apart from Open University, but that doesn't count).

It better not to offer help on things unless you *can* help properly. Misinformation is worse than no information at all.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
My brother went to Hertford College about fifteen years back and I had an interview at Trinity about eleven years ago (although I didn't get in). Drop me a PM if you like.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Have you visited the website? Lots of useful info http://www.ox.ac.uk/

I have visited Oxford many time and am happy to answer questions about it. :brit Of course the best way to find out about Oxford is to watch the Morse tv series

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the experience will depend on the college, for sure, but yeah, I got a degree there (and took an extra year doing it, so I know even more about the city now ;) :D). This was in 2009. I'll rep you my e-mail addy.

That would be excellent, as my novel starts in 2010! :) Let me make up my list of specific questions . . . thank you!

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Have you visited the website? Lots of useful info http://www.ox.ac.uk/

I have visited Oxford many time and am happy to answer questions about it. :brit Of course the best way to find out about Oxford is to watch the Morse tv series

I've been to the website many times, but mostly for my own selfish reasons (I keep taking online classes through the Continuing Ed department); a lot of my questions tend to be of the "so let's say a student did x, what would the repercussions be?" sort of thing. I think one of the problems I have is that I'm not sure which college my MC belongs to, as I'm reluctant, for some reason, to be that presumptive . . . and that one detail could change things quite a bit for her and me.

If you don't mind, I'd love to pick your brain about the city and the life there -- I'm hoping to spend at least two weeks there next year, one week taking a summer class (love that Continuing Ed department!) and one just staring around, mouth agape, taking photos of everything and being the usual annoying American tourist. :)

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score

Hi, Darcie -- thanks for the offer, but unforunately as others have pointed out, the university system in Britain is VERY different from that in the US, and Oxford and Cambridge are even more different yet. That's why it's so hard to write about one or the other without having been there or experienced it firsthand -- which is my entire life's goal for next summer! :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to spend at least two weeks there next year, one week taking a summer class (love that Continuing Ed department!) and one just staring around, mouth agape, taking photos of everything and being the usual annoying American tourist. :)

You'll need more than a week. Oxford is gorgeous, and its surroundings are fabulous. I love it there. Have fun!