THE WEEKEND PROGRESS REPORT 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome!

It's another writing year. For those of you who just found us, a brief history: This thread began when a handful of us made a New Year's resolution to accomplish some big projects a couple of years ago. We needed somewhere to be accountable, and since the discussion had been an ongoing part of Humor, here is where we landed. We have a lot of fun and meet a lot of goals. Sometimes we even write cooperative humor stories as part of our reports.

You don't have to be a humorist to participate, but we DO request you bring your sense of humor.

Here's how it works: I put out a call for reports on Friday. Participants post their goals and progress in response. On Monday, I hand out smiley faces or lashes (depending on the nature of the reports).

Pull up your goals for the new year and sit a spell!

Welcome to my happy place!
Barb

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
And I'm so glad that you're running the joint again, Barb. 2005 was fun, and I can still remember some of our highlights, funny quips and stories. And this joint has got the cutest dames in the whole university. Just try to get me out of here, and I'll be draggin' and kickin' all the way.

Tri

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
FRIDAY, JANUARY 6, 2006

Happy Friday, Folks!

Before we kick off the reports, I want to direct everyone to my spiffy new signature. Yes, it is another WPR challenge. Last year, we worked hard to collectively garner as many rejections as possible and we did a pretty good job if I do say so myself. Over the course of collecting, we picked up people from all over the board. So, I started thinking, maybe we needed something more universal and less contained in Humor. Instead of having a Rejection Collection this year, I'm challenging everyone to take The Rejection Pledge. I made a post in Goals & Accomplishments so everyone can play along.

I would like to personally challenge every member of WPR to pledge AT LEAST 5 rejections this year. Writers write. If they want to be published, they submit. I believe that every single one of you has something worth submitting this year. I'd like to see that happen. (Besides, if I can pledge 100 rejections, 5 really doesn't seem like much to ask, does it?) GET ON BOARD FOLKS. :)

Now, on to the report.

This week has been pure H-E-double hockeysticks for me. January is typically the most stressful month of the year for me because it marks the end of my big annual writing contract. Four big deadlines, plus a column, plus other assorted deadlines all seem to bottleneck in the month of January. This year has proved no exception.

This year's goal is to accomplish three writing-related things each day. Sometimes one big "thing" might be repeated on several days. For example a big assignment might count as one of my three things on Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday leaving space for two additional things each day. So far, it seems to be working.

This week:
  • Sent out a book query
  • Wrote and Subbed 3 batches of greeting cards (counting the one I'm subbing today)
  • Queried an article for The Writer and got a request for expanded information.
  • Wrote an intro letter for the local medical university in the hopes of landing freelance assignments from them starting in February.
  • Wrote one 1k article for my contract and worked on researching the second.
  • Queried a family magazine about an activity guide
  • Subbed a short story to my critique group.
  • Wrote a humor prompt for this forum.
  • Completed and subbed my monthly column.
  • Prepared a query (to do today) for another writing magazine.
  • generated 8 new query ideas (so far).
  • collected two rejections for my pledge
  • received notice of yet another last minute revision for my big contract. *grumble*
I have to finish the other 1k bonus article by Monday, so I suspect most of my afternoon will be spent dabbling in that arena.

In other news:
I learned yesterday that my second grandbaby (eek!) due in March will be another boy. :)

Your turn! Let's kick it up big!

Barb

P.S. Thanks, Tri! You're a sweetie.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
You're welcome, toots. You certainly sound like a money maker to me what with all of these different writing venues. Your middle name should be Organization. Try not to stress this month, and I'll try for more walks and less self-inflicted head conking. Kay? Please hand over the reigns when you need a breather.

Put the finishing touches on Planet Janitor, after (six rewrites) and sent it off to the agent three days ago. Got an agent contract in the mail yesterday, signed that puppy in duplicate and sent it back.

Spent the rest of last week editing (again) the first book Word Wars, going over it twice to spiff it up to send to the agent. I won't bog him down until he's got the other book out on the market. And his recent email just stated that he sold four, count em', four novels in the last five days. He now qualifies for AAR, and I'm very happy for him.

This year, thank gawd, I'm going to let the agent do the subs for all these books. I'll submit if I absolutely have to to help out and turn any deals over to him. I might keep doing monthly stories for Staticmovement magazine just for the hell of it.

I plan on writing and finishing four new novels in the year 2006, which will give me six books in the market (hopefully) to sell by 2007. That means I gotta fly and knock one out every three months. I think I can do it. I'll shoot for Mars and hit the moon.

Now where was that dang fantasy novel that I had 82 pages done on? Oh, yeah, She lurks just within earshot, and she is calling me. Whew, no more editing for a while. Now comes the novel blitz.

Tri

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh! A shiny new thread! :Jump:

Nine pages is an acceptable accomplishment. I will be looking for seven next week.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

So if I get four smileys for nine pages, that means I should get, uh...

I dunno, but I wrote 17 pages so far this week. Once I open my notebook and write one, I usually keep going, which is what I was depending on happening. My worst day was yesterday, when my one measly page consisted of a grocery list (and not a very complete one, at that), but my head was stuffed with cotton wool and felt like it was about twice its normal size. Did anyone get the licence number of that steamroller that went by?

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Congratulations to all on their accomplishments in 2005.

Thanks, Barb, for keeping us on our toes. Congratulations on the news of the new baby!
wink.gif

I missed reporting far too many weeks in 2005.
Good news is...I'm still here and Mom's still here. So, I'm making my sorry butt get out of bed before six in the morning in order to have at least three hours to edit my manuscript and/or work on my current WIP before I wake up Mom. In the event that doesn't work, I'll stay up until 3 AM to get in the three hours a day.

One way or another, my horror book will be submitted to a publisher before the end of 2006. That's my goal! Now, darn it, hold me to it!

This week:
  • Finish and submit my monthly column.
  • Update at least 20 pages of handwritten edits to my manuscript disk. (Currently I have updated 80 of 480 pages.)
  • Submit my pledged query.
You can't publish if you don't submit. TakeThe 2006 Rejection Pledge
I took the pledge: 0/52
I'll get this in my signature as soon as I figure out how to get by the 500 character limit.

Other news: Must have been a lot of ultrasounds going on yesterday.
wink.gif
My oldest daughter called me in the morning with the news that her first baby will be a girl. She even e-mailed me the pictures. Woo Hoo! My third grandchild is due in May.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net

<sits in the chair, staring at Barb as she paces back and forth in the dark>

What?

<Barb adjusts the high intensity lamp to shine in my eyes.> "Spill it Mister!"

"I did nothing! Absolutely nothing. I wasn't there! I was in another state (vegetative) and I can prove it. I got witnesses. (ask my wife) You got nothing on me!"

<Barb grabs the hose, the long black rubber hose> "All you other guys might want to leave. It's not going to be pretty."

"Beat me as much as you want, but it won't change the fact that I did not write anything. You can't make me admit to writing things. I was over with the guys, see. They kept me from writing."

Actually, I did edit some writing for my wife. I corrected her grocery list. It had very little flare or style. I changed the word "drinks" to "beer." I changed the words "carrot sticks" to "pretzels." I changed the word "squash" to "beanies and weenies."

Don't you think the list is much better with those changes?

Also wrote an article to submit, and about 1000 words in WIP.

Oh, and I modified my sig to include a modest submission/rejection goal.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I did edit some writing for my wife. I corrected her grocery list. It had very little flare or style. I changed the word "drinks" to "beer." I changed the words "carrot sticks" to "pretzels." I changed the word "squash" to "beanies and weenies."

Don't you think the list is much better with those changes?

:ROFL:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Report!

First report of 2006, and I actually have something to say.

I pulled of just about 3,000 words this week. I didn't write the majority of the week, which is my own fault. Still, I sort of worked out a plan. If I advance by 1500 words every day (not necessarily new words, just editing the draft by that much) then I should have around 90,000 words by the end of February. So that's going to be my Big Plan.

Then, I can put it through another edit between March and April, and get a beta reader for May and June, and start submitting in August and September.

Pieces. Just make sure I stick to it, okay? Thanks. :)

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
I was goint to beg out, but how can I? So here is my first report of 2006. I actually wrote about 5 pages. Hard pages, but good ones. In a sick twist of fate (no pun intended) my computer screen makes me nauseous. Hell everything makes me puke right now, but for some reason the computer screen makes it worse....ARGH. SO 5 pages is all, but it's better than 0 and this is just going to be a new kind of normal for me for a while.

Good luck to everyone on their goals this year and may we all be in a better place at the end of it!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
allenparker said:
<sits in the chair, staring at Barb as she paces back and forth in the dark>

What?

<Barb adjusts the high intensity lamp to shine in my eyes.> "Spill it Mister!"

"I did nothing! Absolutely nothing. I wasn't there! I was in another state (vegetative) and I can prove it. I got witnesses. (ask my wife) You got nothing on me!"

<Barb grabs the hose, the long black rubber hose> "All you other guys might want to leave. It's not going to be pretty."
:popcorn:

allenparker said:
"Beat me as much as you want, but it won't change the fact that I did not write anything. You can't make me admit to writing things. I was over with the guys, see. They kept me from writing."

:ROFL: :roll: Oh Allen, that was great! Thanks for the laugh.

As for me, my mom is still here and will be here until the 20th. I won't be doing to heck of a lot with her here. I haven't been around much, but I did edit my newest MS and I sent out two queries, and an agent has a requested partial right now.

Next week: Edit five chapters of other MS
Write 5,000 words in WIP.

I know, I'm starting slow. I've got to ease back into it. I will be sending my shopping list to Allen for editing from now on though.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
This Week's Accomplishments
  • Wrote 5239 words in TBWN. I'm probably about 15K from The End.
  • Played phone tag with a lady I need to talk about for some research.
Goals for 2006
  • Submit 3-5 completed works/queries every week.
  • Finish TBWN.
  • Find an agent for TBWN.
  • Complete my Master's Thesis.
  • Refocus on non-fiction and travel-related writing.
  • Attend one con.

Last edited:

gina

lost in the twilight zone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ginasramblings.blogspot.com
I've been in bed off and on since Thursday, but I did manage to pull in almost 7,000 words this week before collapsing to my bed. Also just submitted one of my show reviews to a site I've worked with in the past for a paying gig. I should hear about that hopefully soon.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
TRI

You are starting 2006 off in a big way. Four new novels? ACK! I tend to write fast, but even I don't think I could pull off that many in one year. I'll be watching and cheering you on. Oh, and I'm holding you to that promise of more walks. :) :) :) :)

RUTH

You are off to a fine start! Ten pages over your stated goal. I am impressed! Perhaps you need to adjust that goal a little higher? Sorry that you weren't feeling well. I hope you are better now. :) :) :) :)
:)) :) :) :) extra-credit smilies)

JOANNE

Congrats on your new grandbaby, too!

Sounds like you still have a full plate at your house. But it also sounds like you are determined. Hang tough and get those pages done. I'm sure you will get that book out this year. :) :) :) :)

ALLEN

You know that rejection pledge? The one about submitting? You can't submit if you don't write. Plain and simple. It's time to get your butt in gear and get the words flowing again. Don't make me zap you.
Emotewhip.gif
Emotewhip.gif
Emotewhip.gif
Emotewhip.gif

KATIEMAC

3k words! And a shiny new goal! 1500 words a day sounds like a good plan. And it sounds like you have everything mapped out for how you want to proceed. Now, all you have to do is… um… proceed. ;) Go get 'em! :) :) :) :)

SC

I wasn't sure we were going to see you this year. I'm sorry the nausea is so bad, but I'm not sorry to see you sticking around. 5 pages are 5 more pages than you had last week. Keep writing when you can. Do it longhand if you must. Just try not to come to a complete standstill. It is so hard to get restarted if you do. :) :) :) :) :)) :) overcoming adversity smilies)

STORYGIRL

Congrats on the request for the partial! Who cares if you start slow. You are starting and that is the most important part. Enjoy your Mom, the 20th will be here before you know it. We'll all still be here. (There is no escape I'm told. Bwaahahahaaaa!) :) :) :) :)

LORI

Excellent progress! The End will be here before you know it at this rate. Sounds like you have a full plate for the year. Just remember to pace yourself. Oh, and sleep? Sleep is a good thing. You might want to add it to your list of goals. :) :) :) :) ( :) :) hypnotic, sleep-inducing smilies)

GINA

Oh dear. Another sick one. I hope you are feeling better soon. 7k while ill? I'll bet that took some doing. That sleep thing I told Lori^? You might want to consider it too. *makes mental note to invest in tranquilizer darts* Get better and keep up the good work. I've got my fingers crossed for your latest sub. :) :) :) :) :)) :) :) :) Overachieving smilies)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Ok. I re read what I wrote uh 10 days ago. I still like it so aside from a few edits I'm keeping it. So NOW I acknowledge those 3,500 words.

I re-wrote 4 pages at the end of chapter 11 of Alien Source. It now reads like a grown up sci fi book. I'm happy. That is 1,600 words.

I trashed and re-wrote the synopsis. It was 1,450 words. It is now 1,200 mainly new and better words.

I plan to work ( really) this week. Crit to finish. Chapter to finish. Book 2 needs a re-read and a cleanup toward publishment. and I seem to be more interested in book 4 than 3 so I'm bouncing back and forth between the two..this may seem strange but so far I'm solving continuity issues.

I made a Chicken Parmagiana ( Spelling!?) cassarole on Friday night. Somehow, between the time it came out of the oven and the time I was going to call the kids for dinner,(15 min...I got a phone call.) it got eaten all up. So I made another one, and the big greek salad I was making for dinner too. I set the table and went to get another phone call, and when I got back, all they had left me was the salad...and not much of that either.

Just thought I'd share.:Shrug:

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
batyler65 said:
*makes mental note to invest in tranquilizer darts*

Oooo, what do I have to do to get one of those? Sounds fun!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and sleep? Sleep is a good thing. You might want to add it to your list of goals. :) :) :) :) ( :) :) hypnotic, sleep-inducing smilies)

SLEEP is a four-letter, er, I mean five-letter word. But I slept last night. I should be good for another week or so. :D

I made a Chicken Parmagiana ( Spelling!?) cassarole on Friday night. Somehow, between the time it came out of the oven and the time I was going to call the kids for dinner,(15 min...I got a phone call.) it got eaten all up. So I made another one, and the big greek salad I was making for dinner too. I set the table and went to get another phone call, and when I got back, all they had left me was the salad...and not much of that either.

EmoteROFL.gif

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm writing, by gawd. I have no idea about word count, until I transfer into the computer everything from the scrawled pages in the notebook and the scribbly little messages to myself, all over the ms.

:)

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
JAYCINTH

Sounds like you've been working hard! I'm glad you got to keep those words. Keep up the good work.

Sounds like you live with a pack of hungry teenmonsters. (or other hungry monsters). Next time, you'll have to fix yourself a plate and hide it while you talk on the phone. :) :) :) :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, a new year!

Net gain last week:

My column, which was difficult since there were no new movies in town and so I had to write about something else movie related. I ended up giving Hollywood a few suggested new years resolutions, not the least of which was to never ever give Vin Diesel another leading role in a movie.

Home & Away is a whole 107 words fatter! Ain't that incredible?
emoticonthankyou.gif
I know, I know, I shouldn't embarass Tri like that. I massaged the most recent chapter, and went back to fix a continuity error, so I feel pretty good about it all aroun--
3.gif
OW!

Barb sure don't fall for spin doctoring, do she? Sheesh.

Okay, as for 2005, I wanted to get published, which I did in Stories of Strength. Though I must admit that when the year started, I was after getting a contract for one of my novels. So that still holds for this year, along with getting an agent. I have sent a query to an agent, and am currently holding my breath.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting published last year, Charlie and good luck on increasing your writing success this year. You might want to come here with a better story when you're not pushing yourself hard enough, though. ;)

I've just amended my 2006 goals list to include attending at least one con this year. Are there any near you?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Birol said:
I've just amended my 2006 goals list to include attending at least one con this year. Are there any near you?
There sure is. This-un. So far, 'Guests of Honour' include David Webber and Larry Niven. w00t! Wonder if Larry'll remember me? If he runs the moment he lays eyes on me, then we'll know.

Last edited:

gina

lost in the twilight zone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ginasramblings.blogspot.com
batyler65 said:
GINA

Oh dear. Another sick one. I hope you are feeling better soon. 7k while ill? I'll bet that took some doing. That sleep thing I told Lori^? You might want to consider it too. *makes mental note to invest in tranquilizer darts* Get better and keep up the good work. I've got my fingers crossed for your latest sub. :) :) :) :) :)) :) :) :) Overachieving smilies)

The 7k was mostly written before I collapsed into bed Thursday. I think maybe 1,000 of that was over the weekend, and that was for my weekly column due each Sunday. I've been in bed, mostly sleeping ever since, and now I'm at about 85% capacity. As for the sub, it was a time sensitive submission, and it looks like the assignment was given to another writer. I'll see what happens next week with it. In any case, the material can still be used on my own site.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you need to adjust that goal a little higher? Sorry that you weren't feeling well. I hope you are better now.

Still sick... (Going to the doctor's on Wednesday. Until then, I'm off work.)

I didn't set it higher because if the goal is only one page, I can manage that even on a very bad day. (Well, I didn't Friday, but I was even sicker...) However, it's like eating potato chips. The hard part is getting started. The harder part is stopping... The idea behind the one page goal was simply to get me to open my notebook or WP program and start putting words down. From there on in, my muse takes over. So far, it's working, with only one day at the single page level, and one day with no writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.