"grinded"?

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Over the past couple of years, I've seen "grinded" sneak in as the past tense of "grind" when it's used in a sexual sense ("We grinded our hips together.")

My dictionary indicates that while such a form does exist, it is obsolete. Does anyone have any idea how this is making its way into published fiction so frequently? Should it be stetted or changed to "ground"?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It only makes sense in the sexual manner. Ground = pulverise somehow. Grinded = to rub against hard, but without that uncomfortable imagery of pulverising.

Could be totally wrong.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I looked three places and no one gives "grinded" as legitimate pp of "grind." However, grounden, though archaic, is an option. "High on X, we jumped onto the dance floor and grounden to the music." I like it. ;)

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
As I said, "grinded" is an obsolete past tense. It appears in the OED and in some older dictionaries and appears to have dropped out of popular usage some 150 years ago.

I've seen it in books from a number of publishers, mostly romance, both print and ebook publishers. It sets my teeth on edge, but as I said, it appears to be making a comeback and I'm wondering if house style at some places is to stet it.

ETA: I also found a reference to The Monastery, by Sir Walter Scott, in which appear the phrases "he grinded his teeth" and "bring their corn to be grinded at the mill."

Last edited:

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting

Merriam-Webster lists "grinded" as an archaic past tense (you already knew this, I realize).

"Archaic" usually means even more out of date than "obsolete."

Somebody somewhere used "grinded" in the special sense that you have described, and other people became imitators. It was an idiotic use, however, and nobody who really cares about grammar and language would adopt this form of the verb except in a deliberately archaic context. I wonder if it first appeared in some "bodice ripper" romance about a rogue and a virgin in the 17th century.

I suspect that someone decided to use this unfamiliar form as a way to detach the verb "grind" from its traditional associations.

Jonathan Swift (1667-1745) used "drinked" instead of "drank" in Gulliver's Travels. My grandmother, born about 1900 in the American south, used the same verb form.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Jonathan Swift (1667-1745) used "drinked" instead of "drank" in Gulliver's Travels. My grandmother, born about 1900 in the American south, used the same verb form.

I don't hold novels of a certain vintage to the same standards of a modern novel - if the word "grinded" (or, indeed, "drinked") is present in a title which has just been released, I'd immediately think that the author was either deliberately indicating a lack of education, head injury or insanity on the speakers part, or was unaware of the correct usage. Most often I would go to straight to the thought that it was incorrect usage...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I also found a reference to The Monastery, by Sir Walter Scott, in which appear the phrases "he grinded his teeth" and "bring their corn to be grinded at the mill."
This is the variation that makes sense, in a way, as it refers to something being processed by a 'grinder' rather than just rubbed on something.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
This is the variation that makes sense, in a way, as it refers to something being processed by a 'grinder' rather than just rubbed on something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the dance not called the "Grind"?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Forget "grinded". Even if it was once correct, it now makes the writer sound illiterate.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Over the past couple of years, I've seen "grinded" sneak in as the past tense of "grind" when it's used in a sexual sense ("We grinded our hips together.")

My dictionary indicates that while such a form does exist, it is obsolete. Does anyone have any idea how this is making its way into published fiction so frequently? Should it be stetted or changed to "ground"?

Changed to ground. Grinded sounds plain silly.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Mabel and I grinded our hips together," sounds like part of a 1970's The Two Ronnies character sketch to me. :snoopy:

AnWulf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lupussolusluna.blogspot.com
archaic/obsolete

Merriam-Webster lists "grinded" as an archaic past tense (you already knew this, I realize).

"Archaic" usually means even more out of date than "obsolete."

The wiktionary way, not that they truly stick to it, is that archaic means that the meaning is old but likely understood by the reader.

Obsolete means that the meaning is no longer likely understood by the reader.

Thus a term may be old and no longer noted but still understood like 'thee' which makes it archaic. OTOH a slang term in the '20s or '30s is less likely to be understood like "moll" which would make it "dated" or "obsolete".

caliph

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with whatever sounds better to you. People probably want to see what happens post-grinding anyway.

Pinkclaw

Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking about grinded today, good to see I'm not the only onw that have found this on books.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If I saw it in a manuscript I was editing, I'd strongly suggest to the author to change it to ground, unless there was an extraordinary compelling reason to use grinded.

As, I suspect, would the copy editor. But an author can always Stet...